Chapter Twenty Eight: Ice Cream!!!!

Tam

“Thanks for that, you two,” I said, rubbing the back of my head.

“Well don't freak me out like that ever again. You have a promise to keep remember?” He looked me in the eyes.

“I know,” I said. There was silence for a few minutes before I broke it.

"Hayate?" 

"Yeah?" he asked.

“Know a good place to get some ice cream?” I asked with a smile.

“Yeah I do, why?” he questioned.

“I want to get out of this place. I fucking hate hospitals. And I want some ice cream.” I said.

“Why do you hate Hospitals?” he asked.

“I…” I sighed. I have to tell someone, right? They need to know the story behind it, don't they? That I rather be in a cell, rotting to death than in here. 

“Can we get the hell out of here first?” I asked.

“Okay,” Hayate said with a sigh. He stood up as did I. He walked to closet and grabbed my clothes. This was the first time I realized I was in hospital wear. Hayate handed them to me and walked out the room. “I’ll be right out there if you need me,” he said, and then closed the door.

Julie looked at me. “You scared the shit out of me, girl.” She came over and gave me a tight squeeze.

“Yeah, I’m sorry,” I said. She still hadn’t let go. If I didn’t know any better, she was shaking a little. “I don’t know what happened.” I really didn’t.

She finally released me, her hands on my shoulders. She gave big sigh.

“Doctor said your lungs shut down,” Julie said. “They used those things that go BZZAP! To bring ‘em back to life.”

“Well, at least I’m okay now,” I said. Julie smiled and nodded. I got dressed as fast as I could before walking out the room with Julie and up to the daydreaming Hayate.

“Come on,” I hurried them out the hospital and sighed in relief when we got outside. “Which way?” I asked, looking ‘round for where we could head off to.

“This way, come on.” he said.

...

"What kind do you want?" Hayate asked as I looked at all the flavours to pick from. “You pick too, Jurei-kun.”

"Apple please!" I said.

“I want…chocolate,” Julie said.

“Two apples and one chocolate, double scoops, please,” Hayate said to the lady. She smiled and made our cones, placing them into the holder while we paid. I went to hand her the money when Hayate slapped my hand away.

“I’ll pay,” he said and went to give the nice woman his money. I pushed his hand away before she could take it.

“I asked you to come. I’ll get them,” I told him.

“I’ll pay,” he said firmer this time.

“Not on your fucking life, Gekko,” I said, shoving him hard to one side and giving the woman the money. Then my money ended up on the floor. What the…?

“Here you go, ma’am,” Julie said as she handed the woman the money. The lady took it, looking between the three of us before putting the money back into the register. I gaped at Julie as she picked her chocolate ice cream out the holder and winked at me.