Chapter Six The Mission Just Got Harder

• Dedicated to Dan

Recap…

Tam

“Sorry, guys, I got lost,” said Julie.

“How could you; the gates are huge,” said Sasuke.

Oh, if they all just knew, I thought. But I don’t think Julie wanted me to tell everyone that.

“Well, it’s good that she came sooner than Tazuna-san,” said Kakashi. Tazuna came about five minutes after Julie showed up, and we set of towards the Land of Waves.

. . .

“I spy with my little eye something beginning with...umm...’T’" Naruto said happily.

“Turtle?” suggested Julie. “Oh, oh, ‘twig’? Is it ‘twig’?”

“Nope!” said Naruto.

"Oh let me see,” I said, pretending to think, “is it maybe ‘tree’?" I asked with a sigh.

"Yes!" Naruto shouted.

Me and Lisa shouted at him, "STOP PICKING TREE NARUTO!"

"What? That's all we see!" Naruto said.

“Yeah, stop being a party pooper,” said Julie. I wondered if she was upset with me about what she told me back at the Hokage’s office when Naruto started giggling.

"What are you giggling at, dummy?" I asked, lighting a fag. I needed one. Naruto has picked tree for the past twenty games of “I Spy”. Soon, he’s  going to be the only one playing. Or the only one unconscious.

"I have one! And you’ll never get it," he said, grinning at me, Tash and Liss.

"Okay then, Naruto, what is it?" Liss asked.

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with T,” he said happily.

"So help me blondy if it's tree you’re worse than dead," I threatened.

"Nope." He said.

"Truck?" Tash asked, pointing to a random truck that appeared. Where did that come from?

"Nope!" Naruto grinned wider. At this point, Julie had also started grinning. Their grins were similar.

"Tammy?" Lisa asked, pointing to me.

"Nope!" Naruto said, popping the ‘p’ in “Nope”.

"Toe?" Tash asked, looking at her feet and giggling.

"Nope," he sang, still grinning wide.

"Okay, we give what is it?" Lisa’s asked.

"Tazuna!" Naruto and Julie shouted happily. So she did know!

"Hey, good one kid," I said, ruffling his hair.

"Nice one, Naruto," Tash smiled at him.

"Okay guys, we're stopping for five," Kakashi shouted to us.

"Okay," I muttered as we all walked over to a tree and sat ‘round. Julie pulled out her sketchbook and started drawing. If she’s as blind as she says she is, why can she still draw? That’s my confusion.

I just pulled out my canteen and had some water. I wiped my mouth and stood. Everyone looked at me confused; I just nodded to them all.

I walked away from them a bit and near a different tree. I pulled my sword off my back and grinned. I started waving it around, practicing with the movement and working on how I could get it smoother and faster.