Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Two weeks flew by like it was merely hours.  I’d probably been happier than I’d ever been in my life, which kind of seemed a little weird for me since I was a part of the Directrix.  But I knew that I was that way all because of Kade. 

We decided to make my room our room.  Bailey had to agree with that, too, since Kade’s closet wasn’t as fully stocked as mine was, so it was easier to move most of his things in.  She was genuinely excited for us…and didn’t go get Everleigh when she found our room locked in the morning, which was every morning. 

The first night – after a few hours of celebration, of course – I told Reagan all that happened.  She was smiling when I got there, so I had a feeling that she’d already known what had happened. 

“Congratulations,” she said, hugging me even before I said a word.

“Let me guess,” I said.  “You know what happened with me and Kade today?”

“Yes, I did,” she said.  “The night after your grandma and grandpa got married.  It wasn’t like a usual wedding, though, was it?”

“No, but I did wear a white dress,” I said. 

She laughed.  “I know, and it was gorgeous,” she said, and hugged me again.

I woke now to Kade kissing a line all the way from my jaw down to my shoulder.  My eyes were still closed, but I knew that he knew I was awake because he could probably see the smile playing around the edge of my lips.  He then wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me against him to kiss me from the side of my mouth all the way to the hollow below my ear. 

“Good morning,” he said.  “And happy birthday.”

“I forgot about that,” I mumbled, opening my eyes.

He laughed and leaned back to look me in the eyes, his face just inches away from mine on the pillow.  “How can you still forget your birthday when you know mine’s two days before yours?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” I said, smiling.  “I’ve seemed to forgotten my birthday for the past three years now.”

“Your birthday three years ago was the best, though,” he said, smiling.  “It was two days after I found you.”

“Well, I could say that this birthday definitely trumps that one,” I said. 

I sat up then, letting the sheets fall down around my waist.  But right when I stood up, Kade caught my hand and pulled me back down and I landed right on top of him.  I laughed as he kissed me and then let me go, a smile on his face.

I walked to where Bailey had set out my clothes and where I’d put my necklace the night before – I already had my ring on; I hadn’t even taken it off at all – and went to the bathroom to take a shower.  When I got out, Kade got in and I finished getting dressed and ready.  I went downstairs while Kade finished and the first thing that I saw when I got down to the kitchen was a huge plate of pancakes covered in fruit at my place at the table.

“Happy birthday, Rayney,” Arianna said as walked up to me and wrapped me in a hug.

“Thank you,” I said, and pulled back to look at Conley.  “You shouldn’t have done this.  I won’t be able to eat it all.”

He smiled.  “It’s alright,” he said.  “And happy birthday, Rayney.”

I smiled as I walked to sit down at my place.  The first bite of my birthday pancakes was like heaven.  They were so light and fluffy that it was like taking a bite out of a cloud.