Chapter 24

Chapter 24

It had been about an hour after Grandma had left my cell and I was lying on my cot.  Rowan had left the other room when she’d gone and, since then, no one had come in.  I didn’t know where they were, but I could kind of hear people talking.  It was a little too far away for me to hear what they were really saying. 

Orion was still sleeping over in his cell and snoring lightly.  I guess getting knocked out really makes you tired. 

I’d been twisting my ring on my finger ever since Grandma had left.  I reached for my necklace then, and looked at it.  I turned it around over and over again, but then I caught sight of something. 

The code that was engraved on it. 

A green box appeared around the sapphire stone.  And then there was something scrolling across my vision.  Interface Reconnecting.

I sat up quickly as my interface kicked back on.  I jumped up and looked around.  A green box appeared around the door.  I hacked into the system, unlocking the electric lock.  The door cracked open silently.  I ran to it and looked out into the hallway. 

There was a camera mounted on the ceiling at the end of the hallway.  I quickly disabled it and went to the door leading into Orion’s cell.  I opened it and walked in.  He was still asleep on his cot, so I went over to him and pulled him up into a sitting position.  He woke immediately and aimed a punch at my face.  I caught his fist and pulled it down.

“Don’t you dare even think about punching me or I’ll just hit you right back,” I said to him.  “Now, let’s go.”

“What did you do?” he asked, looking around with a confused expression on his face. 

“They apparently didn’t disable my interface completely,” I said.  “It kicked back on.  I should send a message to Kade.  He and Roth can come pick us up.”

“First we have to get out of here,” Orion said.  “And how are we going to do that?”

“I lived here for two years.  I know my way around.  I just don’t know where we are right now.  I never knew they had holding cells in Division Sixteen,” I said.

We walked out into the hallway.  There was nothing to the right but on the left there was another door like the ones leading into the cells.  I opened the lock and we walked out into a dim hallway. 

“Stay very quiet until I can figure out where we are,” I said to Orion.

We headed down the hallway until we reached a wide open room.  The gardens.  I looked around, but I couldn’t see anyone there. 

“This place is huge,” Orion said as we walked through the room. 

“It’s underground,” I said.  “Division Sixteen was a part of the Directrix, but they got rid of it.  Well, everything that was above ground.”

I ran over to the exit in the gardens, but when I tried to open it, it wouldn’t budge.  I thought maybe that it was locked electronically like the others, but it wasn’t.  And when I tried to kick it open, it still wouldn’t budge.  Division Sixteen must have upgraded since I’d been killed.  Well, of course they did.  They didn’t want anyone getting inside again. 

I started running again, Orion following close behind me, until we got to the hallway that let toward the main hall that led to the rooms, the infirmary and the common area.  I checked before we started running down the hallway.  And when we reached the main one, I checked again.  I could hear the voices of everyone in the common area.