Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“So this is where you were going to go,” I said as I hugged Lysander.

“It’s been the plan to come here,” he said, laughing.  “I just didn’t know when.”  He leaned back and took my face in his hands.  “I saw what happened that day when the Directrix invaded.  I thought you were dead.”

“Nope,” I said.  “I’m still here.”

“I’m glad,” he said, smiling.

I looked over at Grandma.  “Did you know he was here?” I asked.  “Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I didn’t know until a little while ago when he came into the infirmary when you were still unconscious,” she said. 

“But it looks like you’re all better now,” Lysander said. 

“Yes, I am,” I said.  I looked back at Grandma.  “Can I go see Lyric?  I know she and Lilah probably didn’t know what was going on.”

“Yes,” she said.  “I’ll take you.”

“I’ll come, too,” Rowan said.

Kade grabbed my hand, telling me he wasn’t going to leave my side.  Grandma walked back down the hallway that we’d come down.  But instead of taking the hallway back toward the infirmary, she went straight, going the way that Kate had said was the way to the rooms were. 

When we got to the main hallway of the rooms, it seemed to go on for about a hundred and fifty feet in both directions.  Grandma seemed to know where she was going, taking a left. 

“They’re both in mine and Auden’s room,” Grandma said.  “Lyric says she wants to sleep with you though, but she doesn’t know the difference right now.”

“She’s slept with me since she was a baby,” I said.  “So it doesn’t matter to me.”

She continued walking down the hallway, passing four doors that were about thirty feet apart.  When we came to the end of the hall, Grandma went to a door and quietly opened it.  It was dark inside, but she turned on a lamp on a table next to one of the two beds in the room. 

The room was pretty big, about twenty by thirty feet.  There were two double beds, two tables beside them, plus a desk along one wall and two dressers.  But in the far right hand corner was a small blocked off part with a door. 

“That’s the bathroom,” Grandma said.  “Every room has its own.  It’s quite convenient if you ask me.”

“Yeah, it is,” I said, looking around. 

I spotted Lyric and Lilah lying side by side asleep in one of the beds.  Their heads were close together.  I walked over and sat down on the bed next to them.  I put one hand on their backs, trying to wake them up.  They both rolled over, yawning and blinking a few times before they saw who woke them up.

“Rayney!” they both said, sitting up and crawling toward me to wrap me in their arms. 

“Hey, you two,” I said, hugging them both.  “Have you been good?”

“We’ve been asleep,” Lyric said, giggling.

“But what happened to you?” Lilah asked.  “You weren’t awake when we got here.”

“It’s okay,” I said.  “It’s all over now.”

“Okay,” they both said. 

“I’m hungry,” Lyric said. 

“Yeah, can we get something to eat?” Lilah said.

“Sure,” I said, laughing. 

I stood up and Lyric wrapped her arms and legs around me.  Rowan walked over to Lilah and took her in her arms.  I turned back toward Grandma and Kade, who were both smiling.