Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Grandma was walking toward us from the common area when turned to go to the control room.  Orion watched as we then walked to him, a smile growing on his face. 

“I know you’re going to ask me why I didn’t go,” he said.  “I’m still a little wary of everyone, even if they act like they’re not going to kill me.  I’d rather you to protect me.”  He laughed as he wound his arm around my neck.

I pushed his arm off of me, laughing also.  “Come on, Orion,” I said.  “You don’t need me to defend you.”

“But I like watching you defend me,” he said. 

I rolled my eyes at Rowan and Grandma.  “I’ve had to deal with this guy, plus his brother, Fynn, and another guy named Ace since I’ve been in the City.  I’m surprised I haven’t hurt them myself.”

He gasped and put a hand to his chest.  “But you have hurt me,” he said.  “By marrying another, Mrs. Slayter.”

I aimed a punch at him, but he darted out of the way and started toward the door to the control room at the end of the hall.  I could see Rowan and Grandma smiling from the corner of my eye.  When we got to the end of the hall, Orion was there waiting, his grin still in place.  I rolled my eyes at him as I passed to walk in the control room. 

Nothing had changed much, not that I was expecting it to.  Luke, Eli, Logan, Dominic and Caspar were talking about some kind of plan.  Xander, with Peyton leaning back against him, Nash, Dane, Slade and Adem were all leaning against the back wall.  Bailey and Harper were sitting in some of the chairs.  Rowan, Orion and I went to sit beside them. 

“What have they been talking about?” I asked Harper and Bailey. 

Harper shrugged.  “We don’t know.  They’ve been having a hushed conversation ever since we got in here,” she said.  She looked over at me and smiled, taking my hand.  “It’s really good to have you back.”

“I know,” I said, smiling back. 

“They’ve been saying things about Kade,” Bailey said.  “I don’t know what, though.”

I looked over at her.  Seeing her and not in the Slayters’ house was a really big contrast.  She was still dressed in what she had been when we were going to Division Five, but the air around her was different.  She seemed stronger and more alert.

“What?” she asked.  “Why are you looking at me like that?  I’m still the same person.”

“Still,” I said.  “It’s just weird seeing you here.  And knowing you’re Adem’s sister…”

She smiled, shaking her head.  “Well, now you know about that.”

“I should have guessed,” I said, and looked back at Adem, who was smiling at his sister.

Everyone’s attention was directed toward Luke and the others then, who had turned to look at all of us.  Well, mainly at me.  Luke was the first one to speak. 

“Rayney, we need you to get in contact with Kade or Roth,” he said.  “Try not to have anyone else at the Directrix be able to see the message.  We want you to tell them to come here, but under absolute secrecy.”

“No problem,” I said.  “No one can connect with our interface, but we can connect with everyone else.  But the way, how did you guys disconnect me?”

“Ryder,” Rowan said, grinning.  “We’ve been keeping him busy.”

“Yeah, you have,” I said.