Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I was drained.  Mentally, physically and emotionally.  Luke said that we probably wouldn’t be getting a message any time soon, so he said that I should get some rest.

Rowan was already upstairs in our room.  She said that she was tired, but when I got there, she was still wide awake…and had tears running down her face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.  “You haven’t told me anything.”

“Nothing,” she said, wiping her hands under her eyes.

“It’s something,” I said.  “I know you.  Something’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong,” she said. 

“Then what is it?” I asked.

“I…I don’t want to talk about it,” she said, shaking her head. 

“Why not?” I asked. 

“Because if I believe it’s true, something’s going to go horribly wrong,” she said.  “So I’d rather not talk about it.  Not now.”

“Okay,” I said, sighing.  I got up and started for my bed.  “Well, I’m taking a nap.  Wake me up if anything happens.”

“Okay,” she said, standing up.  She walked out the door and shut it behind her. 

I took off my necklace and put it on the table next to my bed.  I closed my eyes and stretched out, relaxing so that I could fall asleep.  And a few seconds later, I was.

“Oh, Luke,” Reagan said, smiling.  “I knew he’d find you sometime.”

“Yeah,” I said.  “He, Eli and three other guys did.  They were actually coming to find the people that the Directrix was coming for, only they didn’t know it was us.”

“So he and Eli are still as close?” she asked.

“It looks that way,” I said.

“I knew they’d be,” she said.  “They’ve been close all their lives.  They were only born a month apart.”

“Grandma told me that,” I said.  “I don’t know why Luke hasn’t come to find us in the last seven years.”

“He’s probably been really busy,” she said.  “Now, where are you going exactly?”

“I really don’t know what it is,” I said.  “All that I know is that it’s called Division Sixteen.  I dreamed about it a couple nights ago, but I didn’t know what it was.”

“I never knew anything about the Directrix having Divisions,” Reagan said.

“I didn’t either,” I said.  “But apparently there were Sixteen to begin with all around the country.  But the Directrix got rid of Division Sixteen.  Or so they thought,” I said.  “Luke said it’s like an underground base.  It’s spanned over a mile and a half.”

“And do he tell you anything about who’s there?” she asked.  “Or what they do?”

“No,” I said.  “But I guess we’ll be finding that out when we actually get there.”

For some reason then, I felt like I needed to go.  I could feel myself being tugged somewhere else.  And before I knew it, I wasn’t in the field with Reagan anymore.  I was standing in the kitchen, looking down at a messenger in Luke’s hands.

They sent Guards hours ago.  I didn’t know.  You need to run now.

I could hear feet pounding up the stairs when I woke up, and then them again as they ran across the bridge.  Peyton crashed through the door then.