Chapter 27

Chapter 27

My entire body ached from the explosion.  It kind of reminded me of when they bombed the school all those years ago from the rubble that was piled on top of me.  But the one thing that wasn’t the same as that time, I still had Kade’s hand in mine. 

When I breathed in, dust went down my throat and into my lungs, making me cough uncontrollably.  I moved to push the debris off of me.  I didn’t let go of Kade’s hand at all.  But once I was cleared, I moved over toward him.

He wasn’t breathing.

“Kade!” I choked.  “Kade, wake up!  Please!”

I pounded my fist on his chest a couple times before collapsing on him.  My tears came out with choked sobs as I tightened my grip on his hand. 

And that’s when his chest moved and he started coughing.

“Kade?” I asked, sitting up.  I put my hands on either side of his scratched up face and looked down at him.

“Rayney, I told you to run,” he whispered before opening his eyes.

I laughed.  “I’m not going anywhere unless you’re right there beside me,” I said.  I scanned down his body.  “Can you move everything?  Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” he said.  “Nothing that can’t heal up within a few days.”

He sat up and looked me over the same as I did him.  His hand went up to my face and when he pulled it back, there was blood on it. 

“You’re bleeding,” he said.

“I can see that,” I said, still looking at his hand.  “Just like you said, nothing that can’t heal up within a few days.”

“We need to go,” he said, starting to get up.

“Stay where you are and put your hands up where we can see them,” a stern voice said from behind us.  “You.”  Something poked me in the back.  “Stand up.”

I stood up slowly.  But before I could even reach for my gun to fire, two Guards were in front of me, taking it away, plus my other two that were strapped to my thighs.  When I looked over at Kade, they were doing the same to him.  He gave me a look that said ‘don’t do anything stupid or we won’t get out alive’. 

When one of the Guards started for my knives, someone stopped him.  “I don’t think she’ll want to do anything with those.”

Footsteps sounded toward me then, and a few seconds later, Kendric Slayter was standing right in front of me.

“Why, hello again, Rayney Cooper,” he said, smiling.  “I haven’t seen you since…when was it?  When I talked to you before we set fire to that house of yours?”

“Yeah, that’s about right,” I said through my teeth.  “But you can’t forget when you messaged me yesterday.”

“No, I can’t,” he said, and then walked over toward Kade.  “Hello, Son.”

“I’m not your son,” Kade said, his eyes – just like his father’s – flashed in anger.

“Genetically, you are,” Slayter said with a laugh.  “You might not think of me as your father, but you can’t do anything about it.”

“What are we going to do with them?” one of the Guards asked. 

“Take them to the holding cell,” Slayter said, and started walking out of the pile of debris and toward one of the buildings that had little damage from the explosion.