Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I headed down the hallway toward my room, hoping that Rowan was still there.  When Grandma and I had walked back to the common area, we didn’t see her or Nash.  Grandma was going to stay there, though, while I talked to Rowan about everything.  She told me she’d come help explain some if I needed it.

Rowan and Nash were still in the room when I came back in.  They both stood up from where they were sitting and came toward me.

“God, Rayney, why did you leave so quickly?” Rowan asked.

“We tried to follow you, but your grandma stopped us before we could get to you,” Nash said.  “She and Dane wouldn’t let us come.”

“I’ve got to talk to Rowan for a little while,” I said to Nash.  “I’ve got to tell her about everything that’s been happening.”

“Oh,” he said, immediately catching on.  “That.”

“Yes, that,” I said, and then leaned up to kiss him on the cheek.  “I’ll find you later, okay?”

“That’s what you said last time,” he said, a slight smile on his face.

“Well, I mean it this time,” I said, laughing. 

Once he left, I closed the door and turned back toward Rowan.  She’d sat down on her bed again.

“What,” she said, “is going on between the two of you?”

“Nothing,” I said.  “But that’s not what I wanted to tell you about.”

“Then what is?” she asked.

“The reason we went to Division Twelve the first time,” I said. 

I told her everything about the weapons and what was happening with Kade and Roth.  She listened intently, but stood up after about the first minute and started pacing around the room.  When I finished, she continued.

“Say something,” I said.

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” she asked.

“Because I didn’t find out about it until about a half an hour before we left to go to Division Twelve the first time,” I said.

“And why not after?” she asked.

I gave her a look that said everything.

“Okay, never mind,” she said, sighing.  “But what I don’t get is why they would do this to them.”

“They told me that they had this planned for a while now,” I said.

“So this is why you went to see Luke and the others in the control room,” she said. 

“Yep,” I said, nodding.  “And to ask why I’ve been assigned to the two of them and had a message sent to all Guards telling them to kill me.”

Rowan stopped and stared at me.  “They what?” she asked.

“Yeah, that’s…”

“You’ve just told me everything about what happened to Roth and Kade and you’ve just now figured you’d tell me that everyone in the Directrix want you killed?”

“Rowan…”

“See, I told you my dream is going to come true,” she said.  She put her hands to her head.  “I shouldn’t have told you to go out.”

“Well, if Kade wanted to kill me then, he could have just tightened his hold on my neck,” I said.  “But he didn’t, and I don’t really know why.”