Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“I really don’t know if I want to go back there,” I said as we flew in the direction of Division Twelve.  We’d been up in the air for a few hours and we were going to stop at the little town we had the last time we’d been heading in that direction. 

“I don’t think I want to go and I wasn’t even there,” Rowan said from beside me.

“It’s going to be okay,” Nash said from beside me.  “If you want to, you can just stay with the helicopters and we’ll go inside.”

“No, we know we have to go,” I said.  “And I kind of want to know what it looks like after…”

“Are there going to be Guards and staff there?” Rowan asked.

“No, they’re all heading for the City today,” Nash said.  “Luke says it’s for that new weapon they designed.”

“Why are they going there, though, if Division Twelve is where they’ll build it?” I asked.

“I think they’re just going there to introduce it to the other Guards,” he said.

“But it’s only two weapons.  How does it benefit all of them?” Rowan asked.

I looked at Nash and gave him a warning look.  What Rowan didn’t know is that these new weapons were people and that there was going to be another one developed.  We just didn’t know when that was going to happen.

“We don’t know.  It just does,” I said. 

“So we’re going to the town that you guys went to the last time?” she asked.

“Yeah,” I said.  “I guess we’re going to be meeting with the same people again.”

“I think we are,” Nash said.

We all saw when Xander turned around to speak. 

“We’re going to land here in a few minutes,” he said, and then turned back to face the front. 

“So these people,” Rowan asked.  “Do they know about this weapon?”

“Yeah, we told them about it when we came here before we went to Division Twelve before,” Nash said.  “We didn’t stay very long because, well…”

“I got a message from Slayter saying that they were going to invade the town if we didn’t go back,” I said.  “They didn’t invade, but they caught us at the Division.”

“I wonder how it’s going to look,” Nash said.  “They pretty much destroyed that one building by using the explosives on you and…well, you know.”

“It’s okay,” I said.  “You can say his name.”

“Oh,” he said.  “Well, then, you and…Kade.  It’s a wonder you even survived it.”

“I think we were far enough away from it that it didn’t do very much damage,” I said, looking down as I twined my hands together in my lap.  “All it did was knock us out for a few moments and pile a bunch of debris on top of us.”

“Again, you don’t have to go back if you don’t want to,” Nash said, covering my hands with his. 

“No, I want to,” I said, looking up at him.  “I want to see what it looks like now, too.”

Feeling the helicopter lower, we looked out the window and saw the little town below us, hidden partially by the trees.  It looked exactly the same as the last time I saw it, a year and a half earlier.  I figure was looking up at the helicopters as we lowered into the tree and they ran to the house that I recognized at Keenan’s and then another two houses on either side of it.