Part Three - Chapter 23

Part Three

Invincible

Don't be afraid
what your mind consumes
You should make a stand
Stand up for what you believe
And tonight we can truly say
Together we're invincible

- Muse

Chapter 23

I didn’t know how long I’d been out, but I could hear voices.  They were a little muffled, like they were behind something, but I could still hear them pretty well.  I couldn’t tell who they were, but I knew I’d heard the voices before. 

“It looks like she’s starting to wake up,” someone said.  “How long has she been out?”

“Since we got her yesterday afternoon,” someone else said.

“So she’s been out for more than twenty-four hours?” the first asked.

 “We had to use a higher dosage of the sedative since her body could have kicked it out within a few minutes if we used the regular amount.  We got most of our information about it from Bailey.  She was quite useful with it.”

Bailey.  I felt my hands form into fists at the name.  How could she have done that?  She was obviously behind all of this.  I knew something was up when she’d had that messenger on the jet going over to Division Five.  She must have also had something to do with the helicopter screwing up.  But how?  And who was she working with?

I opened my eyes and saw that I was lying on a cot in a cement room.  There was a metal door that led out.  On one wall was what looked like a mirror.  My vision cut straight through it, though, and saw that there was another room on the other side of the glass.  Whoever was holding me probably thought that I wouldn’t be able to see through it, but they were wrong. 

I jumped up fast and stood.  I looked down at myself and saw that I still actually had everything.  Well, except for my knives.  My sheath on my thigh wasn’t there.  I could probably do more damage without them, though.  Now all I needed was whoever was keeping me to come in here and they’d be dead within the second. 

I looked up into the corner of the room and saw how they knew what was going on with me.  There was a camera mounted on the ceiling and pointed straight at me.  I walked slowly toward it, a smile – not a very nice one, though – spreading across my face.  I jumped up and grabbed hold of it, ripping it from the ceiling.  All that was left were some of the wires connecting it.  I threw the camera against the wall and it shattered into pieces. 

I heard a low moan coming from my right and I looked over.  There was another glass wall, but this one was the entire wall.  There were holes in the glass near the top, but I didn’t know what for.  Probably just for ventilation.  And in the next cell over from mine was another person.  When they turned over, I recognized who it was.  Orion. 

I switched my ring over to my right hand and walked toward the wall that separated us, and then swung my left hand at it, aiming at breaking the glass.  When I did, though, it only cracked.  But then that crack seemed to repair itself until it was perfect again.  I hit it again, but the same thing happened. 

“What is this?” I asked to no one. 

I heard Orion moan again and sit up.  He looked around for a second, and then his eyes fell on me on the other side of the glass.

“Rayney?” he asked, standing up slowly.  His hand went to the back of his head and his winced.  “What happened?”

“Bailey,” I said through my teeth.  “That’s what happened.”