Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I stood at the edge of the trees again, watching as the helicopter carrying Kade and Xander flew off into the distance.  Everyone else had already gone back inside, but I wanted to watch the fly away until I wasn’t able to see them anymore. 

Maxi was sitting on the ground beside me.  He bumped his nose on my hand and whined.  I looked down at him and rubbed the top of his head. 

“I hope they’ll get back safe, too,” I said.

“Rayney!” someone yelled from behind me.  I turned and saw Rowan in the doorway of the house.  “You do know it’s starting to rain, right?”

I looked up at the dark sky and felt a couple of raindrops fall on my face.  I turned and started to run toward the house.  And right as Maxi and I got through the door, the rain started falling even heavier.

“You made that in time,” Rowan said, laughing.

I smiled.  “I’m just fast,” I said, but then my smile fell.

“Stop worrying about them,” she said.  “They’ll be okay.”

“I’m sure they will,” I said, and then dropped my voice lower so only she could hear.  “I’m just worried about when he comes back here and after that.”

“Oh, you mean…?” she said, trailing off.  I nodded, confirming her answer of what I had to do.  She put her hand on my arm.  “You don’t have to do it.”

“But if I don’t, they’re going to hurt the rest of you,” I said.

“They could have just been bluffing,” she said.  “They’re probably just all talk…”

“And that’s when I remember that you’ve been locked up all through the Directrix’s rule,” I said.  “They’re never just talk.  They’re all action.  Action that kills.”

“Okay, yeah, I don’t know a lot about what they do,” Rowan said.  “But still.  Not all of the Directrix Guards are bad.  There was one…”

“I’m not talking about the Guards,” I said.  “I’m talking about all of those crazy leaders, including Kendric Slayter.”  I looked around, making sure that no one heard me say the name.  Only Grandma knew who Kendric Slayter was…but she wasn’t anywhere around.  Neither was anyone else.  “Where is everyone?”

“Mom and Grandma are in the washroom with Lilah and Lyric.”  She pointed to the closed door and we could hear giggling and complaints inside.  “The girls decided that they were going to go play out in the mud after Kade and Xander left.  Ryder’s out in the shed, like always, and Peyton’s upstairs, probably worrying about those two enough for you and her both,” she said.

I laughed.  “Probably,” I said. 

“Again, don’t worry,” she said.  “If anything’s going to happen to them, we’ll know before it does.  This little dream thing sure comes in handy, doesn’t it?”

“I just wish it could tell me if I actually do it or not,” I said quietly.

“I’m thinking that since you haven’t made the decision to or not, you won’t know until you actually do it,” she said.

“You’re probably right…”

“I am right.  There’s a difference,” she said, smiling.

I rolled my eyes.  “Sure, whatever,” I said.

“Then ask Reagan about it tonight,” she said.  “She’ll tell you the same thing I just told you.”  She looked at me more closely then.  “What about that other dream you keep having?  The one with you and Kade getting…”