Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Kade and I ran toward Slayter, but then Kade ran full speed toward him.  He caught him by the back of his shirt and threw him backwards.  He landed on the ground in front of me just as I stopped.  Then Rowan was there beside me. 

Slayter jumped up and faced us. 

“I do have to say I’m impressed with the two of you,” he said.  His face was smudged with dirt.  “I was surprised that you helped put together this attack.”

“More surprised than to see that you’re losing?” I asked. 

He looked behind us at the helicopters that were hovering in the air, their guns firing off and hitting his Guards and none of ours.  I could hear every shot and see the reflection of each helicopter firing in his eyes.  Rowan and I walked toward where Kade stood, right in front of Slayter. 

But then Slayter reached into his jacket and pulled out a gun.  He cocked it and aimed right at my head. 

“I cut off all the Directrix weapons, remember?” Kade said.

“This isn’t a Directrix weapon, so it still works,” he said, the gun still aimed at me.

“Now why are you doing that?” I asked.  “You know that won’t hurt me.”

“I know,” he said, a slow smile spreading across his face.  “But it can hurt her.”

He pointed it at Rowan then, and pulled the trigger.  Kade pulled one of my knives out of its sheath.  He ran at Slayter full speed and jammed the knife in his stomach and angled it up into his chest where his heart was in the same second.  He looked at Kade for a fraction of a second as he twisted the knife and then pulled it back out.  Slayter still looked at Kade as he dropped to the ground, a line of blood trickling down out of his mouth.

Kade turned back around once his father was dead, but he didn’t look at me.  He was looking down at the ground where Rowan was now lying, her eyes closed.

I’d been frozen, watching the scene between Kade and his father that I didn’t see Rowan fall to the ground beside me.  But once I saw her, I dropped beside her, tears welling up in my eyes.

“Rowan?” I yelled.  “Rowan!”

Kade was beside us then, putting something under her head.  She opened her eyes just a tiny bit and smiled slightly. 

“I’m okay,” she said.  “He was such a jerk.  I’m glad you did that, Kade.”

Kade unzipped her jacket to see where she’d been hit.  And when he pulled it open, blood started dripping down the right side of her body, right where she’d been hit in the shoulder by Slayter’s bullet.  She cried out when Kade moved her to try and get her jacket off.

“What are you doing to me?” she yelled.  “Did you just stab me?”

“Rowan, you were shot,” he said, and ripped the sleeve of her jacket to get it off her.  He looked over at me.  “We’ve got to stop the bleeding.”

“With what?” I asked.

He looked around and then ran back toward Slayter’s body.  But before he got back, I saw Roth, Bailey and Nash running toward us.  Roth’s eyes went wide when he say Rowan lying beside me covered in blood. 

“What happened?” Roth yelled as he dropped down beside me.

“Don’t yell,” Rowan complained, closing her eyes.  “I’m fine.”

“You’re covered in blood!” he said, his hand going to her hair.  Her face was shinning with sweat.

“Can you be any louder?” she asked, wincing.