Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I headed into the trees, not caring where I was headed, and came to a stop when I was standing in a clearing with trees surrounding me.  It was probably the closest thing to the clearing back home that I was ever going to get.

I took the knife at my waist and weighed it with my hand, and then threw it as hard as I could toward one of the trees.  I looked toward it, sticking out of the trunk, but the only thing I could see was Kade.

He was definitely not the scrawny kid that had been my best friend years ago, the one that I’d thought I’d loved.  He had grown up, but not into the man that I thought he would be like.  I had always thought we’d grow up and be together forever.  That’s when I thought that he’d never leave me.  But then the stupid attack happened and he was ripped away.  And with him lying about who he really was before, that just ruined everything.

 I took the knife on my left boot and through it straight at the other one.  It hit it straight on and knocked the first one to the ground.  And as I reached for the one on my right boot, someone spoke from behind me.

“I bet you couldn’t hit the same spot three times in a row.  I know you did it last time, but that was probably just a lucky shot.”

I looked at the tree and then through the knife, hitting the second and knocking it to the ground.

“Or maybe not,” Kade said, and started walking toward me.

“I thought you went back inside,” I said.  I walked toward the tree and pulled the knife out of it and picked the two off of the ground.

“I didn’t.  I’ve been right here the entire time,” he said.

“I don’t want you to come any closer,” I said, backing away from him.

He continued to come toward me. 

“I said don’t come any closer,” I said.  I put the two knives back in my boots, but kept the other in my hand, the blade running up against my arm.

“You wouldn’t be able to use that against me, Rayney.  The same thing that happened a few days ago will happen again,” Kade said, stepping closer.

“What, when you gave up?” I asked.  My heart was thudding in my chest, though.  I really didn’t want him to come closer.  But just like always, he didn’t do what I wanted him to. 

“Come on, Rayney, put in down,” he said.  He was right in front of me, looking straight into my eyes.  He was so close I could feel his breath on my skin.

“No,” I said, tightening my grip on the knife.

His hand slid down my arm, sending shivers everywhere.  His hand tightened on mine, trying to get the knife.

“Don’t do that,” I said.

“Then put it down,” he said.

“No,” I said.

“What, do you want to fight me or something?  I don’t think you’d be able to fight me again,” he said.

“I’ve killed someone with these, you know,” I said, backing away.  He still had my hand.

“I know.  You told me before.  Remember?” he asked.  “Plus, the Guards the other day…”

“Then if you don’t want that happening to you, I’d suggest you let go of me,” I said.

“I don’t think so,” he said.

“You think that I wouldn’t be able to fight you for real this time?” I asked.