Chapter 21

Chapter 21

It only seemed like minutes later when Xander was landing the helicopter.  He and Kade got out and then opened the back from the outside.  When I stepped out, we were back in the town that we’d been in earlier.  The sun was rising over the tree tops, spreading light over the people running out from all of the buildings.  And coming out of the big white house that we’d stayed in, was Lysander.

Everyone crowded around our little group, gasping when the saw that there was two of me now.  But I wasn’t paying attention to any of them.  All I was looking at was Lysander coming toward us.  I started to run toward him and the crowd of people parted in front of me.  And when I got to him, I threw my arms around him and started crying all over again.

“Miss Rayney, there’s no need to be crying now,” he said, laughing slightly.

“I know,” I said. 

He pulled back and looked at me.  “Come on,” he said.  “Let’s get you four inside so we can talk about everything.”

I looked behind me and Rowan, Kade and Xander were there.  Lysander took my hand and we all walked toward the house.  Once inside, I sat down at the table and set my head on it.  I felt when Kade sat down beside me, scooting his chair over so that he could wrap his arms around me.  I leaned over and put my head on his shoulder.  He kissed my forehead.

“How did everyone know we were coming back here?” I asked.

“We were planning on coming back here for a night before we set off for home,” Kade said.  “But after they captured you, we came back here to plan how to get you back out.”

“Oh,” I said, and sat up.

Lysander was looking at Rowan, and so were Xander and Kade.

“You don’t have to stare at her like she’s some strange animal,” I said.  “She’s my sister.”

“I know,” Lysander said.  “I just haven’t seen her since she was a baby.”

I looked at Rowan.  “He lived a little ways away from us,” I explained.  “He and our grandma have been friends since they were teenagers.”

“Hi,” Rowan said timidly. 

“I’m sorry, but this is just too weird,” Xander said, still looking at Rowan.  “I knew she would look like you, but just not exactly like you.”

“She’d my identical twin sister,” I said.  “She supposed to look exactly like me.”

“At least you can still tell us apart,” Rowan said.  “She’s got the scar.”

“And she’s probably meaner,” Kade said, laughing, and I punched him arm.  “See!”

I smiled.  “I probably am,” I said. 

“So, about Loryn…” Lysander said.  “I didn’t know who she really was.”

“I didn’t either,” I said.  “I should have never trusted her.”

“We all shouldn’t have trusted her,” Kade said.

“I didn’t tell you who she is, though, have I?” I asked, and they shook their heads.  “Her dad’s one of the main guys in control of the Directrix.”

“He always was there when they’d come to sedate me,” Rowan said. 

“Why did they do that?” Lysander asked.

“So we wouldn’t be able to contact each other,” I said.  “Through our dreams.”

“So you two can do the same as your great-grandmother and her sister,” he said, nodding.  “I knew they had a reason for kidnapping you.”