Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“I’ve tried to talk to you,” Rowan said.  We were sitting in the field again.  It was just the two of us, though, no shadow this time.

“Why couldn’t you?” I asked.  “It’d be better talking to you than having other dreams.”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“I had a crazy dream where I got shot,” I said.  “A little girl I met yesterday was in it.”

“That is crazy,” she said.  “I think the people who are holding me are giving me something that knocks me out fully.  I don’t dream when they do.”

“How are you here now then?” I asked.

“I didn’t eat,” she said.  “I think they’re putting it in my food.  It’s not like they give me anything special when they do.  It’s just the usual.”

“What’s the usual?” I asked. 

“Bread and soup.  It’s not that bad, but it gets tiring after a few years,” she said.  “I don’t know how long I’ve been held.  I’ve gotten so used to it, I can’t taste it anymore.”

“So where were you before they kidnapped you?” I asked. 

“I had a mom and dad,” she said.  “I know they loved me very much.  My mom was pregnant with my little sister a few months before they got me and my dad.  And when they did, she was only a few weeks old.”

“You’re my twin sister, so you do know that they weren’t your real parents.  You were kidnapped when we were only a year old,” I said.

“My parents told me I was adopted,” she said, looking down.  “They actually told me a few weeks before those people kidnapped me.  I was upset, but I knew that they still loved me regardless.”

“But still, if you hadn’t been kidnapped, we could have spent our whole lives together,” I said.  “I would have liked another sister my own age.”

“So I have another sister?” she asked, smiling.  “Tell me about her.”

“Her name is Lyric,” I said.  “She’s six, or six and a half as she likes to say.  She looks exactly like us, only much smaller.  She just like any other little sister would be, wanting to be exactly like me.  I don’t want that for her, though.”

“Why not?  You seem like a good person to me,” Rowan said.

“I’m not, though, not in real life,” I said.  “I’ve done stuff, really bad stuff, so I don’t want her to be like me.”

“What kind of bad stuff are we talking about?” she asked quietly.

“I’ve killed people.  Well, Guards, but they’re still people,” I said.  “I’ve got a reputation because of it.  People are afraid of me.  The scar doesn’t help that much either.”

“What scar?” she asked.

I reached up to touch my face, but when I did, I couldn’t feel my scar.  It wasn’t there.  “In real life I’ve got a scar going across the left side of my face.  I guess I look dangerous or something.  I like it, though, because then people don’t mess with me,” I said.

“I guess I’ll see you for real when you come and break me out.  If you don’t get caught,” she said. 

“So…” I started.

“What?” she asked. 

“What was it like with your parents?” I asked.  “I mean, they weren’t mean to you or anything, were they?”