Chapter 26

Chapter 26

The weird thing was, once they knew we saw them, they blended back into the trees and before we knew it, they were gone.  Nash and I stood there for a couple minutes, just to make sure they didn’t come back.

“That was weird,” Nash said.

“Tell me about it,” I said.  “They’d usually shot at us or something.  But they didn’t.”

“Maybe they weren’t instructed to shot,” he said.

“But why not?” I asked.

“You wanted them to shot?” he asked me with his eyebrows raised.

“Well, no,” I said.  “But still!”

We heard footsteps coming toward us and turned quickly.  It was only the others though, so there was no need to be paranoid. 

“So,” Kade said, walking toward me.  “Did anything bad happen?”

“If you don’t count the five Guards that were just here with their weapons drawn,” Nash said.

“They’re gone now though,” I quickly said when Kade started to reach for his gun.  “We don’t know why they were here.”

“It’s like they were just looking,” Nash said.

“Guards don’t just look though,” Dane said.  “If they were here, they were here to do something.”

“Maybe it was just to look, like Nash said,” I said.  “They’re gone now though.”  I looked over at Kade and Xander.

“Go ahead and say it,” Xander said, rolling his eyes.

“I told you so,” I said.

“Okay,” Luke said.  “I think we should stay here.  Even though it won’t be night for a few more hours, I think everyone should get some rest.  One person should stand guard just in case the Guards come back.”

“We’ll head for Division Twelve four hours before sunrise,” Eli said.  “We’ll take the helicopters until we’re about a mile away from it.”

“Who wants to take first watch?” Logan asked.

“I’ll take first watch,” Nash said. 

“No, I’ll take it,” Dane said.  “Knowing you, you haven’t slept in entire twenty-four hours.”

“Yeah, so?”

“I’ll take first watch,” Dane said, looking over at Luke.

“See what I told you about being protective,” Nash mumbled to me. 

I smiled.  “Yeah,” I said.  “I do.  But you really do need some sleep.  You probably haven’t even gotten as much as I have.”

He fake yawned, but that made a real one come.  “Maybe I could use a nap,” he said, and then looked over at Dane.  “I’ll get second watch then.”

“Fine by me,” Dane said.

As I walked toward our spot in the middle of the field, I couldn’t help but feel a little nervous.  Nervous about what Rowan, Reagan, Tyler, Slade and Harper were going to say to me about our leaving and about how I hadn’t been in the dream in a while.  Just regular sleep was all I’d needed until now.  Now I was ready to talk about everything.

“Rayney,” I heard Rowan yell.  And then she had her arms wrapped around me.  “I know this isn’t really real, but I’m so glad you’re alright.”

“I am.  Promise,” I said, laughing.  “Other than the few things that have happened after we left, I’m okay.”

“How’s everyone else?” Harper asked once Rowan let me go.  She came and gave me a hug also.