Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“Do we know where we’re going?” Rowan asked.  It was the next day.  We’d stopped for rest and had gotten back up only about an hour before.  It was daylight out, but it was still a little cloudy.

“We’re tracking where there is the most Directrix activity,” Xander said.  “Which seems to be back toward the main city.”

“So we’re going there?” she asked.

“No, but we’re going near there,” Kade said. 

Rowan looked out the window of the helicopter, looking down below us at the trees, and then back to me.  She smiled, but it wavered.  I took her hand in mine, telling her that I knew what she was nervous about.  The last time she’d been anywhere near the Directrix was when they were still holding her captive.

“So where are we going to stop?” I asked, turning back to look up toward Kade and Xander. 

“We’re going to stop near the town,” Xander said.

“The town that we were in the last time?” I asked. 

“Yeah,” Kade said.  “We’re going to go take a look anyways.  It’s just far enough away that the Directrix won’t know we’re there but we’ll still be able to track their every move accurately.”

“Do you think there’s anything left?” Rowan asked.  “Of the town, I mean.  It didn’t look like there was going to be after we got out of there a few months ago.”

“We don’t know,” he said.  “I guess we’ll know when we get there though.”

Rowan got her messenger out.  And a few seconds later, mine was signaling that I’d gotten a message.  It was from Rowan, even though she was sitting right beside me.  I looked over her with an eyebrow raised.  She just gestured for me to read it.

What would happen if the Guards knew who we were? she wrote.

I don’t know, I wrote.  We’d have to get out of there fast I guess.

But what if they tell Slayter about Kade still being alive?  They know who he is and that he’s not supposed to be alive anymore. 

Well, then, let them tell him.  There’s nothing I can do about it.

Yes, there is.

I looked over at her.  She gave me a look that seemed to say ‘You know what they want you to do.’

Not now.

Do you think you’ll ever tell him about everything that’s happened?

I looked up at Kade in the front.  He had a smile on his face from something Xander had said to him. 

Maybe…I don’t know.

Do you ever think that telling him would be the right thing to do instead of just killing him at some random moment?

What, do you think he’s just going to tell me to go ahead and do it?  Just kill him right then and there?

You never know.  He’d probably tell you to do anything that would keep you safe.

The only way I’d be truly safe would be for him to be beside me.  And if I killed him, he wouldn’t.

But if you don’t, the rest of us won’t be safe.

 I sighed.  I know.

“What are you two doing back there?  It’s awfully quiet,” Kade said, turning around to look at us.  He smiled.  “Are you two messaging each other when you’re sitting right next to one another?”