Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Sleep didn’t come as easily as I wanted it to.  Kade’s image was still in my head.  I didn’t know why he was trying to keep up this image of him when deep down I knew he was the same.  I saw right through him.  He thought he could fool me but he wasn’t.

But when I finally did get to sleep, I was in a place that I hadn’t seen in…well, three months.  And someone was standing there looking at me like they were seeing a ghost. 

“Hi,” I said.

“So you are alive,” Reagan said, still standing there with her eyes on me. 

“Well, I haven’t been for the past three months, but yes, I’m alive now,” I said.  “Different from what I used to be, though.”

“That doesn’t matter,” she said, and started toward me.  Before I knew it, she had her arms around me.  “You have no idea how hard it’s been for everyone.  Rowan…she doesn’t know what to do anymore.  All she looks at here are images of you.”  She pulled back to look at me.  “You look the same, only you have the tattoo.”

“I have that here?” I asked, putting my hand on my face where the tattoo was. 

“Yes, it’s pretty.  I do have to say that.  Kade did a good job with it,” she said.

“What do you mean?” I asked. 

“Well, Kendric Slayter had Kade design yours,” she explained.  “Just like he designed Kade’s and Marcus Cramer did with Roth’s.”

“So he does still care about me,” I said quietly, looking off into the trees.

“Of course he does,” she said.  “I could have told you that months ago.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, looking back at her. 

“I knew that Kade never stopped loving you,” she said.  “He’s just acting the way he is now because that’s how he’s been for the past year and a half.  You’re the one who can get him out of this, though.”

“I don’t think I can be angry at you for not telling me about this,” I said. 

“I don’t think you could be angry at me for anything,” she said, laughing.

I smiled.  “That’s true also.”

We just sat there for a few minutes.  I was looking down at my lap but I could feel Reagan’s eyes on me.

“So what have you been doing?” she asked.

“What, for the day that I’ve actually been breathing?”

“So you haven’t been awake for long?”

“No, just today.  It’s been quite an interesting day, though.  I thought Guards we kind of afraid of me before, but they actually move out of my way now.  Their faces are pretty funny when they see me walking down the hallways, too.”

She smiled.  “I bet you like intimidating people,” she said.

“It’s okay,” I said, smiling. 

“So what exactly did they do to you?” she asked.  “We knew the basics of what they were going to do, but they’ve changed a few things, just like they did with Kade.”

“Well, I’m guessing you know that I heal really fast,” I said.

“That was one of the things that we knew about,” she said.  “Along with enhancing your hearing, sight and the interface.”