Chapter 28

Chapter 28

“So where do you want to go?” I heard Kade ask over a loud motor.  When I opened my eyes, I realized we were sitting in a huge boat, heading out to sea. 

“What are we doing?” I asked.  “I thought…we were just at Division Twelve.  How can we be here now?”

“What do you mean?” he asked, looking back at me from where he was standing behind the wheel.  “We never went to Division Twelve…”  He looked confused.  “Wait.  What is Division Twelve?”

“You know what I’m talking about,” I said.  “We’d gone there because they were developing a new weapon.  It was made from a human.  You and I got caught and Kendric Slayter brought us inside to talk.  He wanted me to kill you like I was supposed to.”

“I still have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said.  “And what’s that about my father?”

“Your father, Kendric Slayter.  He’s leader of the Directrix,” I said. 

“Are you feeling okay?” he asked, and came back to sit beside me. 

“Of course I’m okay!” I said. 

“You’re not acting like yourself,” he said, taking my hand in his.  “My father isn’t leader of anything.  Well, technically.  You know he’s been CEO of that software company since before we were born.  That’s the only thing he’s really leader of.”

“What about the Directrix?” I asked.

“What’s a Directrix?” he asked, looking confused.

“But they bombed us, when we were in third grade,” I said.  “They’ve taken over the entire country.”

“No one’s taken over the country,” he said.  “And no one bombed us when we were in third grade.  Sixth grade, now that’s when they dropped a huge bomb on us.”  He laughed.  “Do you remember when Mrs. Hobson told us that boys would be put on one side of the room and girls on the other?  You totally freaked out because you’d only ever sat beside me in school.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.  I was so confused.  We didn’t even get to sixth grade.  And now he was talking to me like we’d actually gone through school.

“And sophomore year,” he said, smiling.  “That was the first time I kissed you, when we were hiding under the bleachers when it started pouring rain at the football game.”  He laughed again.  “You didn’t know what was happening.  You just kept your eyes closed until a few moments later.  But when you did finally open them, I just kissed you again.  You kissed me back though.”

“None of that happened,” I said, even though hearing what he was saying made me want to believe it happened.

“Of course it did,” he said, and leaned in to kiss me.

“She’s loosing blood!” someone yelled.  “Put pressure on it now to stop the bleeding!”

“Rayney, stay with us.  Everything’s going to be okay,” someone else said close to me.

“The bullet wound to her leg went through and through.  Another one grazed her side, but that one’s okay.  The bleeding’s stopped there.”

“Rayney!” a frantic voice screamed.  “What happened to her?”

“There was an explosion,” the first person said.  “She and Kade survived it, but they were taken inside.  Roth went back in to get them out.  But as they were running, Slayter shot at them.  She was hit in the upper thigh.”