Chapter 29

Chapter 29

“Even though it’s only been a day, it feels really weird without Bailey here,” I said, sitting on the bed in my robe.  “Especially with the gala being tonight.  Usually she’d be the one helping me get ready.”

“Well, it’s a good thing she’s not here, with what Kade, Cramer and the others are telling him right now,” Arianna said, walking out of my closet with my dress draped over her arm.  “She wouldn’t want to be here when he gets back.”

“That’s true,” I said, standing up as she set the dress down on the bed. 

It was black silk and a lot like the blue one that I had worn to the gala before.  The slit in the leg wasn’t as high up as that one but it did have stones sown into the straps and under the bust line just like the other.  And the good thing was that my necklace would go perfectly with it.

“What are you going to do during the attack?” I asked her. 

She sighed, looking sad.  “Olivia, Roth and Loryn’s mother, and I are going to go to be in the hangar.  We’ve got a change of clothes and other supplies stashed in one of the helicopters that we’ll be taking.  We’re going over with you guys, whenever you’re going to want to leave.”

“Oh, okay,” I said. 

“But the thing that’ll be the hardest is waiting to see who will be coming with us,” she said quietly.  “Because I know not all of you are going to make it.  Including Kendric.  I know he’s not going to make it because…”

I took her hand in mine.  “We’ll be there,” I said.  “Everyone who fought for what’s right.  We’re all going together.”

She smiled and squeezed my hand.  “Your mother and father would be so proud of you,” she said.  “I know I am.”

I leaned over and hugged her.  “Thank you,” I said.  “Thank you for everything.”

She sniffled and I felt her reach up to wipe her eyes.  She leaned back and smiled.  “Now, let’s get you into this dress,” she said. 

Once we were both ready, there was a knock on the door and Kade walked in.  He smiled at me as he walked toward us.  Arianna walked toward the door, stopping to give him a kiss on the cheek before she passed into the hallway. 

He was already dressed in his suit.  He’d gone to Headquarters wearing it but I’d thought he was going to wait for us there, so seeing him surprised me. 

He leaned down to kiss me.  “You look beautiful, as always,” he said.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.  “I thought you were staying at Headquarters until the gala.”

“I decided I should come back and tell you what happened with my father,” he said.

“Did you tell him about Bailey?” I asked.  “Did he believe it?”

“Every single thing we told him,” he said, nodding.  “He’s not in a very good mood now, though.  He’s staying at Headquarters, trying to plan ‘if they attack’, which we are.”

“Do we know where everyone is hidden?” I asked. 

“They’re about two miles out from Headquarters,” he said.  “Hiding the helicopters frequencies from the trackers here worked.”

“Good, because they would have been able to know that they were near,” I said.  “So what’s your father doing to prepare for the attack?”

He sighed and sat down in one of the chairs.  “He’s brought in his Guards from the Divisions.  They’re all stationed in and around Headquarters.”