Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“You know, you’re getting pretty good,” I said as Rowan threw one of the knives.  It stuck into the tree right where the one before it was. 

“And we’ve only been at this for what?  Two months?” she asked, laughing as she went to pull the knife out of the tree.

“I think less than that,” I said.  I looked over at Kade, and smiled.  “How are you holding up?”

“I think I got the bleeding to stop,” he said, wiping off some of the blood that was dried to his forearm.  “I think I’m good now.”

Rowan laughed.  “Sorry about that again,” she said. 

“It’s fine,” he said, smiling.  “It’s not the first time.”

“Or the tenth,” I said, laughing. 

“I actually think it’s the sixteenth,” Rowan said.

“At least I don’t have any scars from them,” Kade said, “or I would look like I went to war.”

“Haven’t we technically been at war for almost eight years?” Rowan asked.

“Yes, but you haven’t been in the center of it,” I said.  “Now, I think we can stop now.  No more blood should be shed today.”

“No more of my blood should be shed,” Kade corrected.  “And I say again, you two probably have the same level of fighting skills now.”

“Thank you,” Rowan said, curtsying.  She didn’t have on a dress.  Far from it actually.  She had on a similar outfit as I had on:  black pants with huge pockets on the sides, a tank top with the leather Directrix jacket that we’d stolen when we’d gotten her out of the city four months earlier and the boots that we’d gotten there also.  She’d thrown the jacket to the ground though when we started training.  “I’ve learned from the best.”

“Rayney and I are pretty good fighters,” Kade said, standing up and brushing off the dirt on his pants. 

“I actually meant Rayney,” Rowan said, smiling.

“Oh, really?” Kade said, raising an eyebrow.

“You’ve just been my practice partner,” she said.  “It’s not like you’ve actually taught me something valuable.”

“Well, then,” Kade said, starting to walk back toward the house.  “I guess I’ll leave you two since you obviously don’t need me.”

“Oh, stop.  She’s just kidding,” I said, laughing.  “Aren’t you, Rowan?”

“No…”  A slow smile spread across her face.  “Of course, I’m just kidding.  Who else would let me beat up on them for no reason?”

“I know,” Kade said, laughing.  “I’m beginning to regret my decision of letting you guys practice on me.”

“Rayney!” I heard Lyric yell.  I turned and saw her and Lilah running toward us.  They were running fast, not stopping until they were both right in front of me.

“What?” I asked.  “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing,” Lilah said, smiling.

“Yeah, we just wanted to come see what you were doing,” Lyric said.

“You two knew what we were doing,” I said.  “Now, why did you come?”

The two of them looked at each other.  Even though they looked nothing alike, they acted like twins, always seeming to know what the other was thinking.  They looked back at me a second later, blue and brown eyes shining with anticipation.