Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I was having the dream again, the one that I didn’t want to have anymore.  I was tired of seeing Kade’s face in my dreams.  But here it was again.

Kade was walking toward me, my necklace in his hand.  Once he reached out and put it back around my neck, I caught his hand in mine and held it tight, pressing it to my cheek.

“Kade…” I said.

He smiled slightly and put one finger on my lips. 

“Don’t say anything,” he said quietly.

“But…”

“Go,” he said, and pushed me away.  “You need to get out of here.”

“No…”

“Go,” he said, and then turned away, walking back in the direction he’d come from. 

When I looked ahead of him, I saw about fifteen Guards walking away.  They didn’t even seem to realize that I was there.  But there was one who was waiting on Kade, one that I recognized.

Roth stood there, watching me.  He’d changed, kind of like Kade had.  And just like Kade, he had a tattoo on his right cheekbone, only his was different.  It was two parallel lines with one line diagonally crossing them.  And on that one line was three dots, just like Kade had on his tattoo.

But before I could say anything else, everything turned black.

When I woke up, I didn’t realize where I was.  But once I opened my eyes and saw Nash’s bare chest under my head, I knew I was still in his room.  I sat up slowly, unwinding his arms from around me, and got up. 

I had to look around the room for my clothes since I really didn’t know where I’d thrown them the night before.  But once I found them, I pulled them on.  When my hands went up to my neck to touch my necklace, it wasn’t there.  I searched around frantically for it, but it wasn’t anywhere in sight.  But when I looked at the table next to Nash’s bed, there it was.  He must have taken it off of me and put it there so nothing would have happened to it.

Once I had it back on, I looked back at Nash, who was still sleeping soundly on the bed.  And emotion that I hadn’t felt in a long time spread through me.  Happiness.  And then I realized I was smiling.  I leaned over him, kissed his cheek and walked toward the door.  I unlocked it and walked out quietly, trying not to wake him up. 

After I closed the door, I looked down each end of the hallway and saw that mostly everyone was up.  The door leading into my room was open, but I didn’t go down there right then.  Instead I headed toward the common area to get something to eat. 

When I got there, I didn’t see Rowan, Peyton or any of the others there, so I went over to the table where Grandma was sitting with Auden, Kate, Sorena, Neola and Kassia.  They all looked at me and smiled as I sat down.

“Good morning,” Grandma said, smiling at me.  “Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah,” I said, and smiled back.

She seemed surprised.  “I’m glad,” she said.  “I was worried about you yesterday after you got back.”

“I’m better now,” I said, taking the piece of bread as she handed it to me.  “I just needed some rest.”  I took a bite.  “Where are Rowan and the others?”

“They were in your room the last time I checked,” Auden said.  “We’re you there?”

“Um, no,” I said.  “I was talking to Nash.”