Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I was still half asleep when I felt a light touch on my face.  And then someone whispered in my ear. 

“Rayney, wake up.”

“Hm?” I asked my eye still closed.  “Can't I just have five more minutes?”

Kade laughed.  “I would let you, but we're here.  We're just about to land.”

“Land where?” I asked as I opened my eyes.  Kade's face was close to mine.  His eyes seemed to blaze as he looked at me, even though they were the complete opposite color of fire. 

“What am I going to have to do to get you to wake up more fully?” he asked, a mischievous smile on his face.

I smiled, pointed at him and put my finger to my lips.  He smiled and leaned down toward me.  Once his lips were on mine, I was completely awake.  I sat up, never breaking contact, and wrapped my arms around his neck.  His arms went around my waist as he knelt down in front of me.  I leaned back then, and saw the line of blood going down his neck.

“You're bleeding again,” I said, and put finger on where I cut him with my knife.

“It's okay,” he said, rolling back on his heels.  “It'll stop.”

“No, it won't.  Not without a bandage on it,” I said.  “And that’s the last thing we need, you dying from bleeding out.”

I reached down and grabbed the first aid kit from under the seat.  I opened it up, grabbed a bandage and then set the first aid kit on the seat beside me.

“Did you hurt him already?” Xander asked, laughing.

“Nope, just an old wound opening up again,” I said.  “Nothing to be worried about.”

“How far away are we now?” Kade asked as I taped the bandage into his cut.

“We're about a half a mile from the town,” Xander said.  “We'll land in a few minutes.”

“So I could have slept longer?” I asked.

“I don't think a few minutes would have made a difference,” Kade said, laughing, as he got up to sit beside me.  He picked up the first aid kit, closed it and put it back under the seat where it belonged.

“You never know,” I said.  “It might.”

We landed a couple minutes later in a small clearing in the trees.  I could tell we were close to the town because, when I jumped out of the helicopter behind Kade, I could smell the burning wood in fires.  The three helicopters powered down and everyone got out.  We all put our guns in the holsters on our chests.  I put my other one on my leg and made sure my knives were in place, too.  We didn’t want to be caught off guard by the Directrix and not have any weapons. 

“Okay,” Luke said.  “We’ve got a few people that know where coming.  We’re going to meet up with them to discuss everything.”

“Are you sure we should be telling other people?” I asked. 

“They’re part of Division Sixteen.  You remember when we said that we had little groups of people who were with us all around the country.  These are some of them,” Eli said.  “They can be trusted.”

“Okay,” I said.  “Just making sure.”

“You worry way too much about stuff,” Nash said, laughing.

“Yeah, but this is serious stuff,” I said.  “Very serious stuff.”

“This is serious stuff,” Roth said.