Epilogue

Follow Me Back Into

The Sun

I wondered how this day would come
Sure as the night falls
sure as the snow
Never thought the light would break
so slowly
but we both know we gotta let it go

- The Rescues

Epilogue

In the two and a half years that followed the attack on the Directrix, a lot had changed.  None of us had been back to see what had become of the country that we’d left behind.  We only knew what was happening with us and the rest of the town on the mainland.  It was just the way we wanted it, though. 

Our house on the beach hadn’t changed that much, only that Rowan had moved out to live in the house next to ours with Roth.  Rowan’s injuries healed up about five weeks after we came to the island.  They’d gotten married about three months after we came, just like Roth promised her.  And nine months later, my niece, Chloe, was born.  Now they were getting ready for another new little someone to arrive.  Rowan was five months pregnant with who will be my new little niece or nephew.  Even though they did have the technology to see what the baby was, they wanted to be surprised.  But thanks to my dreams, I was excited for my nephew to be coming in just a few short months.

Xander and Peyton, our neighbors on the other side of Rowan and Roth, were married and had a little boy named Bryson, who was almost a year old now.  Adem and McKenna, who were just a few houses down the beach, had a new little baby girl also named Nicolette, who was almost a year old also. 

As for Bailey and Nash, they had moved into one of the empty houses two doors down from us and were engaged.  Arianna was having a great time planning their beach wedding with one of the wedding planners that had a shop in the town off the coast.  They had planned it to have it in a month and everyone was excited to have another wedding on the island.

I was still the same, so was Roth.  We could both heal within a second of being injured, which wasn’t that much now.  We both still had the red lines going through our right eyes and the tattoos on our faces.  The first few weeks we’d gone to the coast, most of the people and shopkeepers stared at us, but they quickly got used to us and we’ve actually come to be great friends with most of them.

I still had my knives of course, but I didn’t find any use for them where we were now.  They were stored away in a wooden box underneath my bed and only came out when I taught Lyric and Lilah how to fight with them, not that they’d need to know how to fight when we were here.  The two of them were getting so big now, both almost twelve.  And just like I thought, Lyric was turning into me more and more each day, but I didn’t think of that as a bad thing anymore.

Grandma and Auden were doing well also.  They both loved it here and the town we went to every week to gather goods for all of us.  We usually went once every month to do a major stock up for everyone on the island.  We also asked for any news that anyone had heard. 

No one really knew how things were in the former United States.  The only thing that we knew was that the Directrix was no more and that the people left behind after the bombings were trying to establish the country to its pre-Directrix days.  And they were actually having a lot success.

The one thing that everyone had heard about, though, was the new leader.  They’d said that he was different and was bringing the country back up onto its feet.  And by the news that spread, this mystery leader was establishing the new country faster and faster each day.

When we’d first heard about the leader, we’d kind of been afraid of who it might have been.  Cramer, Mercer, Keilah and Edoline had no clue who he could have been.  We thought it could have been Castillo or Meyers or any of the other Guards that had decided to stay, but we didn’t know for sure.