Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Waiting was the hardest part.  There was no way of telling if Xander and Kade had made it out of the Directrix’s camp alive…or if they were dead. 

“I told Kade I should go with them,” I said.  We’d been sitting at the table in the kitchen for about four hours after I’d woke up after having the dream about him and Xander.  “I told him.”

“They’ll be okay,” Grandma said, taking my hand in hers.  Lyric, who was sitting in her lap, put her hand on top of ours.

“Why hasn’t Xander sent a message?” Peyton asked.  “He’s got one, too.”

“We’ve already tried his,” Rowan said.  “It says that we can’t connect with him.”

“Well, we’ve got to try something else,” I said. 

“Like what?” Ryder said.  “There’s nothing else to do.”

“Nothing but wait,” Auden said.

“I can’t just wait to see if they’re going to come back or not.  I need to know!” I said.

“We’ll know when they get here,” Rowan said. 

“I’m going outside,” I said, standing up.  “And it’s not what you think.  I’m going to go watch out for them.”

“Do you want any company?” Rowan asked.

“No, I’ll be fine,” I said.  “When I come back, you’ll know that they’re coming.”

“And if you don’t?” she asked, raising her eyebrows in question.

“Then I’ve gone out to look for them,” I said.

“But they’re probably a hundred miles away,” Grandma said.  “You’re not going.”

“I don’t care,” I said.  “I at least want to know what happened to them…and hurt the people that did it to them.”

Before they could tell me not to do it, I made my way to the door, grabbing my jacket on the hook beside it.  I put it on as I walked out of the trees and toward the field.  I took the same path I took the day before, up onto the hill.  It took me a while, but it wasn’t like I was in any hurry.

Once at the top of the hill, I sat down in the grass and looked out in the direction that Kade and Xander would be coming.  But when I looked as far out as I could possibly see, there was nothing but blue skies and gray clouds in the distance, the remains of the storm that had passed the night before. 

I lay back in the grass and tried to fall asleep.  I wanted to see if I could dream of their safe return or wherever they were now.  There was no way I was going to any time soon though, since my nerves were making me jumpy.  But I still lay there, with my eyes closed.

I must have drifted off for a few minute, because I thought I was dreaming about the sound of the helicopter’s blade thrumming as it got closer and closer.  But when I knew I was really awake, the thrumming didn’t fade from my mind like I thought it would.

It only got louder. 

I sat up quick, looking off in the direction that they’d be flying in from.  I didn’t have to look far until I saw a large black dot in the middle of the blue sky.  It was growing larger by the second.

I stood up fast, turned on my heel and bolted back through the field.  Just as I was almost halfway through the field, the helicopter flew over me.  Just seeing it up close made me run faster until I broke through the trees and ran around the house to where they were just about to land.