Dissension

***Here's the 6th book in my Descendants Series!  You don't have to read the first four for this one, but you do need to read Resistance!  Enjoy!***

Preface

“We’re sure about this, right?” he asked and they walked quickly toward the control room.  No one was going to be there, since most of them were asleep, but they still wanted to stay quiet.  Just in case…

“Yeah,” the other said, running a hand through his light blond curls.  “I’ve looked through everything.  So have Luke, Eli, Parker, Logan and Adem.  Xander has, too.  Everything they’re planning and what they’re going to do when they capture someone for…”  He trailed off.  They both knew what was going to happen when it did.  There was no stopping it, not matter what.

“I still don’t know why they’ve developed it.  They’ve gotten control over everything and have held it.  Why do they have to create a new weapon?”

“It’s been in development for over sixty years.  It’s not like they’ve just created it.  They’ve been working on it for a long time.  They’ve just finally got everything to work.”

“Still, it just seems…inhuman.”

“That’s because it is.  But we can’t destroy the designs.  They’ve got who knows how many backup files of it.”

They got to the control room then.  The room had one gigantic screen lining the wall that was split into different screens.  Some accessed the vehicles on the ground and in the air and some monitored the movements of the rest the Divisions.  The screen below was for the cameras that were in the hallways, so they’d be able to spot anyone who wasn’t supposed to be there.

But this isn’t the reason they came to this room.  One of them pulled out a laptop from his bag and set it on the desk next to the controls.  He grabbed a cord going into one of the computers and plugged it into the laptop.  When he turned it on, the screen lit up and asked for a password.  He quickly typed it in – the password that was untraceable.  And then they were in.

“Okay,” he said.  “They’ve got all of it in order now, I’m sure of it.  When I was there, they tested it multiple times, but with a different advancement for every person.  And when they knew that it worked…”

“They destroyed them.” 

They both looked at the list of different advancements in the list.  They all had ‘Accepted’ in green letters beside them.  And under the name of each person it was tested on, ‘Terminated.’

“I wonder how many people they had to go through,” he said, running his hand through his blond curls again.  He noticed he did it a lot now, mostly when he was nervous. 

“Probably hundreds,” he said, leaning his head back on the chair.  “I mean, it’s not like they each worked the first time.”

“I know,” he said, leaning up to look at the screen more closely.  He looked at the screen, and then pointed to it.  “Click there.”

“That’s new,” he said, moving to click on the heading.  “They haven’t had that…”

And when the screen popped up, they both leaned back, mouths opening with astonishment. 

The screen now showed the weapon on it.  They knew what all of the advancements looked like individually and now actually in use.  But when they were all put together to form the weapon, they looked even more astonishing.

“That’s your…”

He ran his hand through his hair again.  “It looks like I’m supposed to be the first to test it out.  Lucky me,” he said dryly.

“I knew they were planning on…”  He trailed off.  “But I didn’t know that this was what they were going to do with you.”

“Well, it looks like we’ve got to be prepared for more than just what we thought,” he said.

“Are you going to tell her?”

“No.  I don’t think we should.  It doesn’t really matter anyway.”

“We know they’ve already assigned you to someone but what if that happens before you have time to tell her?”

“Then she’s just never going to know about this,” he said, looking back at the screen.  “I think that’s probably best anyway…”

But then he looked up at the monitor that showed the weapons room.  Anger flared up inside him as he stalked out of the room.

***This hasn't been edited in about 2 years, so forgive any mistakes that you're more than likely going to see!***