Chapter 22

Chapter 22

In the days following Jack’s birth, everyone seemed to be smiling and laughing all the time, including myself.  It seemed like the baby lightened everyone’s mood. 

Except for Kade.  Sensing all the excitement over a new little addition to Division Sixteen, he seemed to retreat back to his room every chance he got.  I’d walked by his room quite a few times and he’d just been sitting on his bed, shifting through some papers that he had. 

He never looked at me anymore either.  Ever since I came in the common area with the baby so that everyone could meet him and Kade saw the smile on my face, it seemed like I had a fifty foot bubble around me that he wouldn’t cross.  Every time I’d walk by him in the common area or if I passed him in the hallway, he seemed to cringe out of my way.

I knew that he was still upset about the thing with Nash, but still.  He was taking it a little too far now.

I was in the weapons room, doing what I usually did when I couldn’t sleep – practicing.  It was the middle of the night and no one was up except for me.  But I liked it that way because I could concentrate without anyone coming to watch.

That changed though when I felt someone walk in.

“Are you seriously up doing this?” Nash asked, walking up beside me.

“It helps me sleep afterward,” I said.  “And it helps when I have a lot on my mind, which I do right now.”

“Are you still thinking about the thing with Kade?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said.  “He won’t even talk to me.  I don’t know why.”

“That’s probably because he thinks you and I…” Nash said. 

“But we’re not together,” I said.  “I do like you, but as a friend.”

“And I like you, but as more than a friend,” he said, smiling.  “But I know that you and I will never be, so I’ll just settle for friendship.”

“Good,” I said.  “Because that’s all you’re going to get.”

“Okay,” he said, laughing. 

“It just…I’m putting up with this behavior from Kade because I want to keep him safe…”

“Keep him safe?” Nash asked, raising an eyebrow.  “We’re completely safe in here.  What are you talking about?”

“As I was saying, I want to keep him safe…from me,” I said.  I turned around so I wouldn’t have to see the confusion on his face.

“What are you saying?” he asked.  “How would staying away from you keep him safe?”

“Me!” I yelled.  “I’m keeping him safe from me!  Because I’m the one that’s been assigned to kill him!”

“What?” he asked.  He took a hold of my shoulders so he could look me in the eyes. 

“There have been quite a few things that not a lot of people know about,” I whispered. 

“Well, then, you’d better started talking,” he said.

“You know how I met with the leader of the Directrix when I got caught breaking Rowan out?” I asked.

“Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?” he asked.  But then his eyes widened and knowledge appeared in his eyes.

“You see…the leader?  Yeah, I knew him from when I was a kid,” I said.  “Kade knew him, too.”

“The leader’s name is Kendric Slayter,” Nash said, looking away.