Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We were almost home.  We only had a few more minutes and my anticipation was growing stronger and stronger with each second we were closer. 

Luke had only messaged twice.  One to tell us that there was no news on whether the Directrix Guards were on their way and just a few minutes ago when he told us they were going to catch up with us. 

“Can you see them yet?” Kade asked. 

“Yeah,” I said, looking out the window.  “They’re coming up fast.”

“We’re going to land in the field,” Xander said.  “That way they’ll be able to land there also.”

“Good idea,” I said.

I looked over at Rowan, who was sitting there quietly.  She hadn’t really said that much in the hours we’d been sitting next to each other.  Every once in a while I’d see one lone tear streak down her face.  She hadn’t told me what had her upset before yet, but I knew she would tell me sometime.

“We’re almost there,” Xander said.  “Rayney, message Peyton and tell her that we’re coming back.”

“Okay,” I said, and reached for my messenger in my vest.

We’re coming home early.  We’ll be landing in the field, so be ready. 

Peyton messaged back a few seconds later.  Why are you coming home so early?  What’s wrong?

We’ll explain when we get there.  Actually, someone else will.

Who?

Not now.  They’ll be in another helicopter behind us, so don’t start freaking out when you see them.

Okay…

We’ll see you in a minute.

We’ll be waiting.

“She said that they’ll be waiting when we land,” I said.

“Good,” Kade said.  “We’re going to have to have everyone get everything together.  But we can’t bring everything.”

“Ryder’s not going to be happy about that,” Xander said with a laugh. 

“Well, we’ve got to bring most of the equipment,” Kade said.  “Just not all of it.”

“It’s a good thing that this is a pretty big helicopter and it’s got a place for storage,” I said.  “Two or three people are going to have to fly with Luke and the others.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s going to be your grandma,” Kade said.  “She hasn’t seen Luke in seven years.”

“Probably,” I said.  “Maybe I should give her a heads up.”

“We don’t have time,” Xander said.  “We’re here.”

Sure enough, the helicopter was just making it over the middle of the field, heading for the edge of the trees.  I could see everyone standing there, waiting for us to land.  And when we were close enough, the helicopter dropped, landing smoothly on the ground. 

I opened up the back door and jumped out, Rowan right behind me.  The blades were still turning, so our hair was blowing all around our faces.  Arms were around me then, and I knew it was Grandma.

“Rayney, what’s wrong?” she asked.  “Why have you four come back so early?”

“There’s someone that can explain that.  A couple people actually,” I said.  “And you know two of them.”