Part Two - Chapter 11

Part Two

Search and Destroy

Sold my soul

To heaven and to hell

Sick as my secrets

But never gonna tell

I'm to blame

Burden of my dreams

A curse of faith and a blessing I believe

- 30 Seconds to Mars

Chapter 11

It had been about two weeks since the last of the procedures.  Yes, he did worry about what was happening to her, but he knew that she would be alright.  She was a fighter, just like she’d always been.  They still hadn’t woke her.  That’s what he was waiting to happen.  His father had said it would be soon, but he wanted it to happen now.

As he walked down the hallways of Headquarters, he kept up his façade that never left him.  Everyone here feared him.  They moved out of his way when he walked.  They did the same with Roth, like the two of them would kill them even if they brushed past them.  They had a right to fear him, though.  But it was their fault for what happened to him.  They’d turned him into a monster.  An indestructible monster. 

He came to a stop in front of the door where they’d put her.  It had been a week since they’d transferred her from Division Twelve.  He’d stayed where they’d kept her for the past three months, just waiting for the day when they’d finally wake her up. 

Every night he’d lie there with the image of her as he looked down at her lifeless body after he’d killed her, looking up at him with unseeing eyes.  He knew that she wouldn’t have been gone for long, but it still caused him pain seeing her that way. 

Pushing inside the room, he saw where they were keeping her.  Nothing had changed in the hour that he’d been gone from the room.

There, in the middle of the room, was the tank where she was being held.  No machines were hooked up to it.  But floating in the thick liquid was her.  Nothing covered her body.  The only place he could look was at her face.  If he looked anywhere else, he started remembering one of the last nights he’d spent with her. 

But even looking at her face with her dark curls floating around it made all of the images that had been stuck in his head flood back. 

“How’s everything going?” he asked.

Edoline McClain, who was head of the department that oversaw the transformation, answered.  “She’s almost ready,” she said.  “We’re going to wake her at six o’clock this evening.”

“So in about three hours,” he said.

“Yes, I didn’t realize it would that soon,” she said, looking over at him.  “I’ve been in here for quite a while.”

“You’re always in here,” he said, taking the seat next to the tank. 

“I’m overseeing her transformation.  She’s ready now – she has been for days – but your father and the others wanted to wait.”

“I know,” he said with a sigh. 

“Even after we take her out and revive her, she will be unconscious for a few hours before all of her systems are up and running again.  I’ll be here to make sure everything runs smoothly.”