Part One - Chapter 1

Part One

Secrets

Tell me what you want to hear
Something that were like those years
Sick of all the insincere
So I'm gonna give all my secrets away
This time, don't need another perfect line
Don't care if critics never jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

- OneRepublic

Chapter 1

The only thing I could see was Kade running toward me, yelling for me to run.  I didn’t know where we were or what we were doing.  All I knew was that something was very wrong.

“Rayney!” Kade yelled again.  “Just run!”

“No!  I’m not leaving you!” I yelled, and ran back toward him.  He caught me in his arms and held me to him.

“I know you couldn’t do it, but this is the way it has to be,” he whispered in my ear. 

“No,” I said, holding him tighter.  “We can get out of here.  It doesn’t have to be like this.”

He laughed softly.  “You know it can’t be like that.  They’ll get us either way.”

“Please,” I pleaded, leaning back and taking his face in my hands.  “Please, let’s go.”

“They won’t let us,” he said, tracing a finger down my scar.  He leaned down until his lips were millimeters from mine.

And that’s when everything exploded around us.

I shot up out of bed.  My heart was racing and sweat was running down my face.  But when I realized exactly what I’d been dreaming about, it wasn’t only sweat running down my face, but also tears.

After a few moments of letting the tears run freely down my face, I sat up straighter, trying to wipe them away.  I looked around the room.  Everyone was still sleeping.  Lyric was beside me, Rowan in the bed next to me and Peyton in the one on the other side of the room.  It wasn’t surprising that they hadn’t woken up.  I guess they’d just gotten used to my screaming and waking up crying for almost the past five months.  The screaming did stop after about a month though, which they were happy about.

I started having the dream the night after we’d gotten home from rescuing Rowan from the Directrix.  I just thought – and hoped – that I was having the dream only because of Peyton’s medicines she’d given me for my two gunshot wounds I’d gotten when the Guards had attacked the town we were staying in.  But when I was still having it a month after I was fully recovered and healthy again, I knew that it wasn’t.

Reagan’s been helping me with it.  It was actually easier than I thought getting used to having your great-grandmother in your dreams than it had been.  She was really helpful with everything, including everything that was happening with Kade and the Directrix.

 Rowan was a big help, too.  She and Reagan where the only two people who know what the Directrix is making me do – which is to get rid of Kade.  And get rid of as in kill.

When Kendric Slayter – who just happened to be Kade’s father and head of the Directrix – brought me into a room, strapped me to a chair and told me what I had to do, I told him no right off.  I didn’t know why they wanted me to kill Kade, only that he knew too much.  Slayter had pretty much told me that I was the one fit for the job and was probably the only one who could do it. 

And that’s when he told me that it was either kill Kade or put the rest of the people I loved in danger. 

I was still going to try and find a way to get out of it.  There was no way I could do what the Directrix wanted me to do.  Not to the person I was in love with.