Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“So what happens now?” I asked Slayter as we walked down the hallway.  No one else was with us anymore, so it was just me and him, which was a little odd feeling.

“Well, you won’t be staying here anymore.  Of course you’ll come back to train some days, but you won’t be living here like you have been,” he said.

“Where will I go?” I asked.

“To our house,” he said.  “Arianna has already had your room prepared and your things sent over.”

“I haven’t seen her since…”

“She is quite excited for you to be coming,” he said, smiling.  He pushed the button for the elevator and the doors automatically opened.  When we stopped inside, he pushed the button for the ground floor.  I’d never been out of this building in the time that I’ve been here, so my stomach was doing flips.

“How am I getting there?” I asked. 

“Kade’s taking you,” he said. 

I froze and looked up at him.  “I’m not so sure about that,” I said.  “He hasn’t been very…”

“Nice to you?” he asked, laughing as the elevator stopped and we walked into the main lobby of Central Headquarters. 

Just like almost every other place in there, it was made of complete glass.  There were a few sitting areas in the large open space and a big front desk where twelve receptionists sat.  Everyone in the lobby turned to look at us as we walked toward the front and out the glass doors. 

“You’re still getting used to that, aren’t you?” Slayter asked, a smile on his face.

“Yeah, a little,” I said. 

“Now, let me find Kade…”

He pulled out what looked like a messenger, typed on it for a moment, and then put it back in his pocket.  Before I knew it, a loud rumbling was coming toward us.  And then, coming to a stop on his all black motorcycle, there was Kade.  It looked sleek and fast, like it had no trouble breaking rules, just like Kade.  He cut the engine and got off to face his father.

“I trust that you’ll see to getting Rayney home safely,” Slayter said to him.

“Yes, Father,” he said.  He didn’t look too happy about the job, though.  “Mother’s been bugging me about getting her there quickly.”

Slayter smiled at me.  “See, what did I tell you?”

I smiled back, another thing that I never would have thought I would have been doing.  “I guess we’d better get there then,” I said.

“Good,” he said.  “You two be careful.  I will see you later at dinner.”

He turned to go back inside while Kade walked back toward his motorcycle.  He threw one leg over and started it up.  I walked toward him.

“You seriously have a motorcycle,” I said.

“I like to go fast and it squeezes past things better than a car would.  And if you’d get on, we could get home that much faster.  My mother really wants to see you again.”

“Fine then,” I said, and straddled the back.  “Where can I hold on to?”

“It’s not like you can get hurt if we crash, which we won’t,” he said.

“Where?” I asked.

I felt him sigh.  “Just put your arms around my waist,” he said. 

“No helmets?” I asked as my arms wound around him.