Exploding Donuts and Lentils

"Caroline, seriously, I'm fine," I reassured the overly persistant blonde vampire as I walked into the Grill.

I'd been discharged from the hospital this morning, and everyone had been treating me as if I was a fragile object and they were terrified of dropping me. It was extremely irritating. Damon, thankfully, understood that I could do things myself and that I didn't have to be babied, but I didn't miss the fact that he kept a close eye on me.

"Are you sure?" Caroline asked. "I could carry your bag for you."

"My arm may be in a sling, but I'm perfectly capable of carrying my bag," I stated.

Caroline had announced that we were in need of a girls night, so her, Elena, Bonnie and I were spending the day shopping and then staying at Caroline's. I'd been reluctant to agree.

"Uh oh," Bonnie muttered. I glanced up and saw Jeremy heading towards us. I hadn't spoken to him since last night, and I'm pretty sure he was making sure Damon wasn't around before he spoke to me.

It seemed Elena hadn't spoken to him either, because she scowled at him.

"What were you thinking Jer?"

"Look, I was drunk! And I do stupid things when I'm drunk," he defended.

"Clearly!" she scoffed.  "She could've been killed."

"I know," Jeremy growled. "Can I just talk to Marni without you interfering?"

Elena glared, but looked to me. I nodded.

"Go find a table, I'll catch up with you guys," I smiled at them.

They hesitated, but did as I asked. I looked back at Jeremy and waited expectantly.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Wonderful," I muttered sarcastically. "My arm's in a sling and I hage a huge gash in it."

"Marni, I am so sorry," he began. "I wasn't thinking. I didn't even realise what I was doing until I'd done it."

"Why did you do it?" I questioned.

"I was angry," he explained. "I was aiming for Shadow. I had no intention of getting you."

"I know," I stated. "But that doesn't answer my question. Why did you and Shadow get in a fight?"

Jeremy hesitated.

"Please don't say me," I pleaded.

He didn't respond.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I groaned. "Seriously? That's it. I'm shaving all of my hair off. And I'm going to let my armpit hair grow really long. That way nobody will like me."

"Look, we've gone there before," Jermey started.

"If I remember correctly, it was you that broke up with me," I reminded him. I was getting slightly angry. "I was heartbroken. You claimed it was for the best, but now you're turning around and saying you still have feelings for me?"

"I can't help what I feel," he commented.

"For months I had to watch you with Vicki," I hissed. "Do you know how much that hurt me?"

"You said you didn't have a problem with it."

I laughed harshly. "Wake up Jeremy! I was clearly lying. Of course I had a problem with it! I was still inlove with you! You couldn't honestly expect me to move on that fast. I had to leave town because of you, and Shadow."

"Marni, I made a terrible mistake," he pleaded. "I know we could work this time."

"You've made a lot of mistakes Jeremy," I glared. "One of them being that you expect me to just go there again. You're too late Jeremy. I've moved on, and I suggest you do the same."