The Halloween Party

"Come again?" I asked, not sure if I heard what Elijah said correctly.

"In order to gain the element of surprise, Klaus has to see you die," Elijah said.

"I thought the whole point of this was so I wouldn't have to die," I said.

He half-smiled.

"You missunderstood what I said," he said. "Klaus has to see  you die. You don't actually have to die."

"Yeah... You lost me," I said.

"You have the power of death," he said. "So why not control your own?"

"How in God's name am I supposed to do that?" I asked.

"There is an ancient spell, allowing one to die, then come back from the dead," he said. "It can only be used once by the person who casts it, and the person who does must have the power of death."

"And where am I meant to get this spell?" I asked.

"I happen to have it," he said.

"Well," I said. "Isn't that handy?"

"Klaus has to believe you're actually dead, so you musn't tell more than one person that you won't actually die," he said. "Otherwise their reactions won't be believable, and Klaus will actually kill you."

"What if he just outright kills me?" I asked. "Then I won't be able to do the spell and I'll be dead."

"He won't," Elijah said. "Klaus likes to toy with people, so he'll let you die while trying to kill him. He thinks no one on this plannet can kill him, and he already knows that you using all of that power will kill you, so he'll just sit back and watch."

"Great to know," I said. "Wait, how come I can tell someone?"

"Well, you don't want to be burried alive, do you?" he asked.

I shuddered at the thought.

"Someone has to take your body to a safe place," Elijah said.

"What if there's no one around when I 'die'?" I asked.

"Klaus will make sure it's in public," he said. "He likes people to know what he has done, in hopes that they will become even more afraid of him."

"Klaus really does seem like a great guy," I said. "I can't wait to meet him."

Elijah smiled with humor.

"When can you give me the spell?" I asked.

"It's in the pocket of your coat," he said. "I slipped it in there so no one would notice,"

"Cool," I said.

"I have to go," Elijah said. "Just to be on the safe side, when you take this little soundproof wall down, you should act like the plan you came up with was useless."

I nodded and flicked my hand to the side.

"So I'm going to die either way?" I asked, playing along.

"Unless you want to back out and let me find another way to kill him," Elijah said.

"No," I said. "I'll do it. He has to be stopped. It's my life for everyone elses right? I haven't really got a choice."

"Are you sure?" Elijah asked.

"Yes," I said after a moment. "Just... Just give me a few days to say good bye to everyone."

I made the last part come out as a whisper.

"As you wish," he said.

"After this is done, whether Klaus lives or not," I said. "Can you please make sure everyone I love stays safe?"