Chapter Fifty Five - I need you

Josh's P.O.V

Liam and Craig sat around the family room on the sofas, chips were strewn across the table and empty beer bottles littered the room. There was a hockey game playing on the TV and loud chatter filled the room.

Zack hadn't shown up, probably hung over from the night before. We didn't think much of it.

''Where's Rosie?'' Craig asked, slurring slightly.

''At home,'' I told him, ''I invited her but she didn't seem interested.''

''Noooooooooooo!'' he complained, pulling himself to his feet and knocking over a few bottles in the process. ''I'm going to get her cute butt.''

I rolled my eyes and laughed. ''Leave her alone, creep.''

He grabbed and Liam's arm, pulling him to his feet.

''I'm in.'' Liam laughed, following Craig to the door.

Sighing in amusement I followed them out the door and down the street. Craig knocked loudly on Rosie's front door, turning around to smirk smugly at me.

The door opened and the small body on the other side was hoisted over Craig's shoulder as he turned to leave, before pausing to look further into the house.

I cringed, face palming.

''Wrong cute butt,'' he mumbled, slapping the behind of Rosie's mother, who was still over his shoulder, before setting her down and grinning sheepishly at her flushed face, and stepping by her to hoist Rosie over his shoulder this time.

''Apologies.'' He grinned to Hannah, as he carried her daughter out of the house on his shoulder.

Liam was bent over, tears streaming his face from laughter. Hannah seemed flustered and quickly composed herself, flattening her clothes and hair before mumbling a goodbye.

Rosie was laughing, kicking her legs as Craig marched her back to my house. He set her on her feet once they were through the front door, and she also patted down her clothes and hair before punching Craig in the arm.

''That tickled'' he deadpanned, smirking.

She stuck her tongue out at him and turned to me.

''Are you going to let him treat me that way?'' she joked.

''Yes.'' I smirked, strolling past her and sitting back on the sofa. She followed me in a strop and sat beside me, her leg just barely brushing mine.

I wanted her in my lap, in my arms. I wanted to feel her close to me but she was being distant. It was so subtle, so discrete that no one else was picking up on it.

''Everything okay?'' I mouthed.

She nodded, her smile not quite meeting her eyes, before turning her attention to the guys who chatted with her. They were still slightly drunk, it was funny to watch her try and make sense of their rambles.

I zoned out, only coming back to reality when I felt fingers run through my hair and Rosie's eyes staring into mine.

''Your hair's getting long.'' She told me, quietly.

I shrugged.

''I hadn't noticed.''

''You haven't dyed it in a while either.'' She mumbled, ''It's cute.''

I rolled my eyes playfully, pushing her back quickly and hovering over her on the sofa, pinning her below me.

''I'm not cute.'' I told her.