Chapter Fifty Five - Bye

Josh's P.O.V

I closed my eyes and splashed cold water in my face, staring at myself in the bathroom mirror. The red scars on my arms caught my eye as I stared myself in the face.

I was ashamed.

Ashamed of the state I'd allowed myself to get in, the severe decline in my health and my complete loss of personality.

I didn't recognise the man staring back at me.

I was still pale, severely malnourished and my arms had become bony from not eating. My ribs stuck out from my stomach and I was still tired most of the time.

I promised myself I would never become this bad again, but then I lost Rosie. When I lost her I lost every bit of myself worth holding onto and it broke me.

There was a quiet knock on the door, and I dried my hands and finished up before opening it.

Her slim fingers ran up my spine as her arms wrapped around me and I smiled down at her, my heart swelling.

I would never do anything to hurt her, never again. I would never risk losing this girl again, not even for a second.

''Morning.'' She mumbled into my chest.

I leaned my chin on top of her head and smiled, breathing in her scent and reminding myself that she was here, and that I was the luckiest man alive.

''Morning, Cutie.'' I breathed back.

She was wearing one of my shirts and her own lacy underwear, that I loved on her. She was perfect, the definition of beauty. Standing there with no makeup on, bed hair and undressed, she was the most perfect thing I'd ever seen.

Oreo rubbed up against my leg and I smiled, letting go of Rosie and bending down to pick him up. He meowed loudly and nuzzled his face into my chest, purring as I scratched behind his ears. Rosie giggled and patted his head, before passing me on her own way into the bathroom.

I headed downstairs to get breakfast started for both of us. Mom had already left with Sasha earlier this morning.

Opening the fridge, I realised we only had milk, so I started pouring two bowls of cereal for us.

Rosie walked into the kitchen, kissing my cheek as she sat down on the stool by the kitchen counter, chatting to her Mom on her phone.

''Yeah,'' she agreed into the phone, rolling her eyes at me playfully, ''I know Mom.''

''Yeah.''

''Yeah.''

''I know.''

''Okay.''

''Yeah.''

''Love you too.''

''Bye Mom.''

I placed the bowl of co co pops infront of her and sat on the bench next to her, raising my eyebrows curiously.

''What was that about?''

''Nothing, just mom complaining that I haven't been home in a while.''

I nodded, spooning cereal into my mouth.

It was true, she hadn't been home in a long while.

She was afraid to leave me.

I always caught her glancing my way, or staring when she thinks I'm not looking. Her fingers would linger on my arms, tracing over my scars, and she'd often have a look of guilt plastered on her face.

She blamed herself, but I had nobody to blame but myself.

''Go home,'' I told her, poking her sides jokingly, ''I'm bored of you anyway.''

She covered her mouth as she choked on her cereal laughing.

''Stop it!'' she shouted, grabbing my hands.

She held onto them and smiled at me lovingly, a light blush painting her pale cheeks. I pulled her hands around my neck and pulled her closer to me, my nose just brushing hers.

I smirked as she looked down, unable to meet my smouldering gaze. I couldn't help it; my girlfriend was beautiful.

''Really.'' I said quietly. ''I'm fine, you should go see your Mom.''

As I spoke my lips brushed against hers, and I couldn't help but lean in and kiss her. Her fingers found their way into my hair, and my hands slid down to her waist, as her back pressed against the counter and I got as close to her as I could.

She pulled away to breath, a small smile on her lips. Her eyes darted past my head to the wall behind me and she paled slightly, her eyebrows furrowing.

''What's wrong?'' I asked, turning to follow her eyes.

''Is that the date?'' she asked me, her body stiffening against me.

I glanced at the calendar and shrugged.

''I guess, why?''

''No reason.'' She mumbled, taking a large step away from me.

I wanted to pull her back into me, but instead shrugged it off and lifted the bowls from the counter, setting them in the sink.

''The guys are gonna come round later, we might go out for a bit, if you wanted to come.'' I told her, my back to her as I ran water over the dishes.

I was met by silence, and turned around to see her packing her things up from around the room into her pink backpack.

''Rosie?'' I asked

''Um.. what? Oh, yeah, sure, okay.'' She mumbled, not really paying me any attention.

I sighed, walking past her into the family room.

Oreo trotted after me as I helped find the rest of her things and left them in a pile for her, going upstairs to get dressed.

I was just reading too much into it, but her distant mood was bothering me.

I had my arms and head half way into a hoodie before I heard her shout upstairs.

''Bye see you later!''

The front door quickly shut. I glanced out my bedroom window and saw her almost sprint back to her house down the street.

I flopped onto my bed and lifted my phone from under the pillow to text her.

Bye -Josh

Just as the message sent, multiple texts came through from the guys, informing me that they were coming over.

Suddenly I wasn't so in the mood.