Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The next day I am too tired to get out of bed so I stay home from school. I didn’t get any sleep last night because I kept waking up from the reoccurring nightmare of Cole leaving me. Vixen has tried ringing me but I don’t answer my phone. At the moment I am sitting in my room listening to depressing music when Damien walks in and scoops me into his arms.

“I am so sorry, Nikki.” I see Dad behind him and I know Dad called for Damien to come.

“He left me Damien. It was all a game to him. Get Nikki to fall in love and dump her like the pathetic person she is.” I am crying into Damien’s shirt getting it all wet. He doesn’t say anything because he knows me well. “I love him Damien. How could he do this to me?” Damien rubs my back trying to get me to calm down. I finally stop crying after what seems like hours and I know I look shocking. I pull myself away from Damien and rub my stinging eyes, which makes me cry all over again.

“Hey, stop that Nikki.” Damien grabs my face and wipes away the few tears that are running down my face.

“How about we get away for a few days Nikki. Go up to my Aunts place for a few days. We can watch sappy romance movies and eat too much Ben and Jerry’s.” I look at him to see he is serious.

“I don’t think I can. I am my Dad’s successor and I don’t think…” My throat starts to clog up again making it hard to breath.

“Deep breaths Nikki, deep breaths.” This causes me to start to cry again because that is what Cole always told me. It takes another 20minutes for me to calm down again.

“I already asked your father Nikki. He said we can leave as soon as you are ready.” I think about. I could leave everything behind. Cole, being Dad Successor, the kids at school. I nod my head and get up to pack my bag. It is now Wednesday and we are going for five days. Just me , Damien, his aunts lake and movies.

Dad farewells us as I get into Damien’s mustang. We drive to the gates and they open up for us. Damien puts on the music and we both open up our windows letting the warm air come in because we both know this will be the last time it will be warm before winter starts to settle in.

We are listening to Run the world both screaming out the lyrics and I am starting to feel better already.

Who run the world? Girls!

Who run this motha? Girls!

Who run the world? Girls!

Damien and I are both laughing as we pull up to the gas Station to get gas. This is the last stop before his Aunts lake house, so we stock up on Ice-cream and anything else we will need. My phone had been going off so Damien took it off me and threw it in the back seat. I have my feet up on the dashboard as I wait for Damien. I am flipping through the music stations when his phone ring. I see he is busy so I pick it up for him.

“Hello, Damien’s phone.” I wait for the other person to say something but all I hear is heavy breathing in the background. Ok that is weird.