Chapter 25

Chapter 25

When we get home I am surprised to see dad waiting at the front of the house. Tyler all the way home was testing my temper, so when I stormed past dad he knew something was wrong. When I get into my room I put on some very loud music and changed into work-out cloths and start working out trying to get rid some of this anger that is inside me. An hour and a half would have passed and most of my anger has gone. I am doing push-ups when Travis walks into the room.

“Nice figure Nikki.” He turns off the music and I finish the last push-up. 650.

“What’s up Trav?” I use a towel to wipe the sweat off my face.

“How are you? I know Tyler is a pest.” I snort at the idea of how much of a pest Tyler is.

“I am better, after I burned out all my anger. And Tyler, I cannot wait until he leaves I just want to…” I crunch my fingers to show a demonstration of what I would do to his head.  

“Ha, I know what you mean.” We sit in silence for a while which is much awakened. “So are you ready for Wednesday?” So that was his main reason for coming in.

“I don’t know. Heaps of people are not going to be happy with having a 16 year old as there successor. I mean if it was you most people wouldn’t care but for me.” I sigh “Why did you have to decline the offer. You are much better with people than I am.” He starts to play with his fingers which he does when he is nervous.

“Truth?”

“Yes that would be nice for once.”

“The reason I didn’t want to be because that is what everyone expected of me. I want a life! I want to do something, not become king when the time comes. I want a life not to rule, but to do something like play music.” I stand there opened mouth at him furious.

“And what! You don’t think I want a life? That I don’t have plans and dreams which can now never happen.” I cross my arms. I cannot believe I am hearing this.

“Well I just thought you hadn’t well I just…” I cut him off.

“What you didn’t think I had plans. I wanted to paint Travis I wanted to become an artist to paint people and life do you think I will get the chance to do that. I will have to attend meetings and play politics. You know I hate talking to crowds, you know I have trouble meeting new people. I never know what to say. You are a natural, people already follow you. They look at me and see nothing, they look at you and they see a future.” I throw my hands into the air outraged that my brother thought I didn’t have any dreams.

“I am sorry Nikki, I didn’t know if I had- I just didn’t want the life that dad had planned out for me. I want to make my own life not have people make it for me.” There is regret in his eyes and I feel bad for him.

“I know Travis but did you ever think of what this would mean for me. Dad said to give it time you didn’t. You told him no straight away.” I sigh wishing I had a different life.