Chapter Fifty-Three - Mad-Eye-Moody

The storm had blown over by the following day, the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy though. Eliza was sat looking over her new schedule which had changed lots due to now she only did Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Potions and Charms. Across the table from her, Fred, George and Lee were busy discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

Her first lesson was Potions with Professor Snape, the twins weren't going to be in the lesson with her as they hadn't got the grades to be able to get into the subject. Alicia was the only other Gryffindor in the lesson with her so the two sat together and waited patiently for Snape to arrive.

Cedric was with a couple of his friends, and every so often they would glance over at the two Gryffindors. "Shall I say something?" Alicia asked her.

"No, let them look, why should we care." Eliza replied, "We weren't happy and -"

"You realized you've liked Oliver all this time, that you were just oblivious to your feelings of him."

Grinning at her friend, she said, "Something like that."

"If he continues to stare I will go over." Alicia said, "Channel my inner Angelina."

Eliza walked quickly alongside the twins and Lee, "He's a legend among the aurors!" Lee whispered loudly, "He knows everything!"

Everyone was there early out of anticipation for their new defence against the dark arts teacher, "Well he's definitely experienced when it comes to defending himself against people who use dark magic!" Eliza replied.

They all hurried in and got four seats together in the second row, Angelina and Alicia were in front of them. The entire room was silent, waiting patiently for Moody.

Loud heavy footsteps could be heard moving along the corridor and then they entered the room. Eliza glanced over at Moody, he looked just as frightening as the previous times she had seen him. "You won't need any books." He growled as he walked towards he desk and then sat down. "No point in using them."

The twins grinned out of excitement beside her while Eliza watched intently as Moody got out a register, and at the same time he shook his grey hair away from his scarred face. He went on to call out the names, his normal eye reading the names off as his magical one swivelled around to look as each student answered to their name.

"Right then," he said, once everyone had answered. "I've looked over all your grades from previous years and you all seem to be very good when it comes to defence against the dark arts. Very good, the best in the class happens to be a Dawlish." He squinted at her, "Never thought I would say that." Eliza stared directly at him in shock. "Now in your sixth year it is time for you to learn how to deal with curses. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with the Dark -"

"Do you think he knows we have two years before the exams?" Fred said loudly to Eliza.

Before she could say anything, Moody turned around to look at the two, at first he seemed angry until he realised who they were. "Fred Weasley? You're Arthur Weasley's son, eh?" Moody said. "Your father got me out of a very tight corner a few days ago. Yeah, I'm staying just the one year. Special favour to Dumbledore. One year, and then back to my quiet retirement." He laughed loudly before continuing with the lesson. "Curses come in many strengths and forms. The Ministry have told me I'm only supposed to teach you the counter curses. Now that you're in your sixth year you need to learn to be watchful and vigilant, ready to fight dark wizards."