Chapter Fifty-Two - Triwizard Tournament

The seven of them hurried out of the carriages and into the castle, they were walking up the staircase to the Great Hall where they saw a large balloon drop onto Ron's head and explode. Ron was drenched and then another one was dropped narrowly missing anyone. From beside her the twins were laughing loudly at their brother while many of the younger years shrieked as they tried to get out of the line of fire.

"PEEVES! Peeves, come down here at ONCE!" Professor McGonagall, came running out of the Great Hall and skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck to stop herself from falling. "Ouch - sorry, Miss Granger -"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione told her.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" McGonagall screamed at the top of her voice as she glared at Peeves.

"Not doing nothing!" Peeves said as he threw another one at a group  of fifth years who dodged it and ran into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts. Wheeeeeee." He aimed another one at a group of second years.

"I shall call the headmaster! I'm warning you, Peeves -" Peeves stuck out his tongue at her before disappearing up the marble staircase.

"Well, move along, then!" McGonagall shouted at the students. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

It was as though they had never left, there was the normal golden plates and goblets, hundreds of candles floating over the tables, the staff were all at the top table and there was already lots of students sat down. As they made their way over to the Gryffindor table, Nearly Headless Nick beamed at them, "Good evening."

"Evening." Eliza replied as they took their seats.

"I'm starving." Fred proclaimed, "They better start the feast pretty soon."

Oliver grinned at Eliza as the group divulged into their own conversations, "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too."

"Have you heard anything from your family?"

"No, nothing." She shook her head, "I wasn't expecting anything though."

Later, the Great Hall doors finally opened and everyone became silent. Professor McGonagall led the the long line of first years up to the top of the Hall, the first years were all shivering from the cold and partially nerves. Except from the smallest of them, a boy with mousy hair who was wrapped up in Hagrid's coat, it was too big and Eliza watched bemused as the little boys put his thumbs up at Colin Creevey and mouthed "I fell in the lake!"

Professor McGonagall placed the three-legged stool on the ground in front of the first years and then on top of it there was the old patched wizard's hat. Everyone stared at it, waiting for the silence to be broken:

A thousand years or more ago, When I was newly sewn, There lived four wizards of renown, Whose names are still well known,

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor, Fair Ravenclaw, from glen, Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad, Shrewd Slytherin, from fin.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream, They hatched a daring plan To educate young sorcerers Thus Hogwarts School began.

Now each of these four founders Formed their own house, for each Did value different virtues In the ones they had to teach.

By Gryffindor, the bravest were Prized far beyond the rest; For Ravenclaw, the cleverest Would always be the best; For Hufflepuff, hard workers were Most worthy of admission; And power-hungry Slytherin Loved those of great ambition.

While still alive they did divide Their favorites from the throng, Yet how to pick the worthy ones When they were dead and gone?

'Twas Gryffindor who found the way, He whipped me off his head The founders put some brains in me So I could choose instead!