Chapter Fourteen - The Dawlishs' and the Weasleys'

The sound of knives and forks scraping across plates was all that could be heard in the giant hall. No one was speaking, they hardly ever did. The mother sat at one end of the table and occasionally would nervously look up at her husband who sat at the top of the table. Their two children sat in the middle opposite each other. They would catch each other's eye but every time would look away.

"How is work going?" Their mother asked quietly.

"It's going okay mother." He placed his cutlery down. "I'm quite enjoying it, to be honest, the other day-"

He was cut off by their father. "Enough. Women do not need to know about business."

It was at times like this that Eliza actually felt sorry for her mother, whenever her father was home her mother would turn into a quiet wife never wanting to upset her husband. It would confuse Eliza how her mother could be so different.

"Why not?" Eliza asked, almost immediately regretting it.

Her father let out a large sigh. "It is a matter for men, women stay at home while men work."

"Said men last century." Eliza answered back while eating a spoonful of food.

"Eliza Dawlish it is not your place to say that!" His anger increased.

She got up from the table. "Why because I am a girl or a Gryffindor?" She placed her napkin down. "Please may I be excused?" Eliza looked from her father to her mother.

"I have matters to discuss with you first!" Her father thew down his own napkin. "We are having our annual dinner soon."

"Yes, the one where lots of obnoxious men and women come wearing uncomfortable clothes to talk about boring things with one and other."

"Don't worry about Eliza, my dear. I have a dress ready for her, it is elegant and will make her look like a true Dawlish."

"The fact is she is a Gryffindor which means she is not a true Dawlish."

"Then I will stay in my room."

"You will stay elsewhere." Her father ordered.

Eliza looked around the room at her brother and mother - both of whom were in shock. "Where?"

"Anywhere but here." Her father began to eat his food again.

She scoffed. "I know why you hate me."

"Why is that?" He replied not caring in the slightest.

"Because I remind you of her. Evelyn. The girl you couldn't save."

Her father exploded but all Eliza did was walk confidently out of the room. "YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HER!"

"Neither did you. A blood-traitor and muggle knew more about her then you ever did." Before he could reply the giant doors closed shut. Eliza stood still and listened to her mother trying to calm her father down before making her way down to the kitchens. It was the warmest place in the entire Dawlish Manor and Eliza's favourite place. It was always busy, house elves constantly running around. When Eliza walked in the head house elf turned to her "Is there something wrong with the dinner?"

Eliza shook her head. "No, no, it was absolutely delicious. Thank you. I just wanted to say goodbye to you all."

Winny stared sadly at her before turning to the rest of the house elves. "Mistress Eliza is leaving!"

They all turned to her. "Why?" "Oh Mistress Eliza, where will you go?" "We will miss you Mistress Eliza."

"Eliza, you must all call me Eliza." After an incident of her trying to give all the elves a piece of clothing so they would be free, her father had made sure to tell the elves that she wasn't their mistress and the only person who could free them was himself.