Chapter 35

Niall's POV

Zayn's alarm clock going off woke me up from any sleep I was getting. It had been this way since I had been pregnant. I was six months along at this point and everything was still going good, but I was starting to get a bit cranky that Zayn woke up at four in the morning every single damn day and doesn't come home until five or six. It was probably the fact the baby was starting to move around now when I was trying to sleep, but I knew even if I wasn't pregnant I would still be annoyed.

"Please stay, Zayn. What are you even doing?" I asked him quietly. He kissed my cheek as he got dressed in his regular workout clothes. I sat up in bed and had to spread my legs a little for my belly to fit comfortably.

"Go back to sleep, love." Zayn whispered back to me. He kissed me on the lips and laid me back down in bed. He sat next to me just letting his fingers run through my hair in a soothing way that only made me want him to stay more.

"Remember I have a sonogram today at one thirty. You said you'd be there." I whispered softly. He smiled and let his hand rest on my stomach. He leaned down and pulled my shirt up so he could kiss over my belly.

"You be good for Daddy, okay? I'll get to hear your little heart beat and see you today. My little baby." Zayn mumbled into my skin as his kissed it. I smiled and started feeling myself fall back asleep because this is all that really needed to comfort me. Just having Zayn talk to my belly and kissing me. I just missed him a lot and felt like I was second in his life. Even the boys felt a little pushed aside. Ezra was pissed off when Zayn missed taking them to their first day of school that started a week ago. Ethan was just disappointed, but he got over it. Ezra being just like Zayn, he's still a little mad at his dad.

"I'll see you for your appointment." Zayn whispered, kissing my lips and leaving the room. I sat up to reach for him but he didn't seem to notice. I just went back to sleep as much as I could with the sad feeling I had going through my chest. I just wanted my husband, but it wasn't what I was going to get right now.

My own alarm clock went off at a more normal people time which was at six thirty. I got myself kind of ready then went to wake up the boys. Ezra hopped right out of bed which was different for him and went to get ready. Ethan was already awake getting dressed, but he once again couldn't find his school shoe. All it took was me looking behind the door to find it.

"Is Baba going to come to my art fair on Friday?" Ethan asked me. I nodded even though I wasn't sure what Zayn was planning on doing Friday. Just that thought stopped me in my tracks from tightening Ethan's tie. It was a slap in the face that I had been letting Zayn get away with being distant for too long. We talked, but not about what's keeping him away from his family so long and so much. Even when he was home he spent time on his phone or in his gym just super disconnected from everything. I finished helping Ethan and went downstairs to make breakfast. That's where I got a surprise that had me nearly crying.

Ezra was cooking some scrambled eggs and already had my plate set with fruit and a glass of orange juice. He put Ethan's plate on the table then got himself an apple for his breakfast. I went over to my son and pulled him to hug me. He held me tighter than ever and rubbed my back a little. For being as young as he was, he was the one comforting me through whatever I needed to figure out.

"I'll take care of you, Daddy." He said to me. That broke me. I let out a soft whimper as the tears came. I went to walk away but Ezra pulled me to sit down and gave me a napkin to wipe my face. He was watching me like he didn't know why I was crying but he desperately wanted to fix it. It was just the look Zayn used to give me.

"Thank you for making breakfast. I owe you one." I said as I pulled myself together. He shook his head and took a seat in his chair to eat his apple. Ethan came down to eat his breakfast and talked about the art project he was going to present at the art fair. I ate slowly, but I just felt a little sad and wasn't feeling hungry.