Chapter 38: Not What We Agreed Upon

Look out for the <>!

"Please can you stop singing? Goodness dad," I chuckled to my father as he pushed me in a wheelchair down the hall of the hospital after getting lunch in the cafeteria.

"In Mullingar that night, I rested limbs so weary, stated by Daylight, next mornin' light and Airy, took a drop of the pure, to keep my heart from sinkin'...." dad continued to sing.

As soon as he walked through my hospital room door this morning, he had been in a good mood. Now he was singing to me and I have no idea how he got on this kick but I wanted it to stop. I felt my cheeks grow red as we pasted a group of nurses who stopped talking to look at us. "Ok, I don't know you," I said, knowing that I was unable to run from him.

"Come on Annie, this is a fantastic Irish song. When I was in Dublin, there was this pub that would have folk song night twice a week."

"And that song should say there. People are looking, dad. Please. I'm already an eye sore," I begged as I tapped the chair.

He stopped and walked in front of me with a frown. "You are not an eye sore," he said suddenly turning very serious.

I was too. It had been three days since everyone came to visit me and I just managed to get out of my bed last night. I looked like a mess, with my greasy hair in a loose up do and bags under my eyes. It looked like I hadn't slept in weeks even though that was all I did. I was bruised and broken. Right now, I was an eye sore and the wheelchair didn't help, let alone my father singing. I laughed cynically. "Don't lie. I've seen my reflection in the mirror."

He brushed my untamed hair behind my ear with a sigh. "You're still beautiful. You've just been through a lot," he said then pulled out his phone. He checked a message then smiled at me.

It was good news whatever it was. "What?" I asked eagerly.

"Guess who's checking out early."

I smiled back at him. "Me."

He nodded. "Lets get you back to your room. I'll sign the paperwork then we can leave," he said and started to push me back to my room.

He dropped me off in my room and went off to file the paperwork. I looked around my room that was full of flowers and notes. Ever since I woke up, this room started to look less like a hospital and more like a normal room. It looked livable, with my blankets from home in a clump on the bed and my computer on the night stand.

Within two hours I found myself in the passenger seat of my blue mustang. I looked over at my dad who was driving, unhappy that no one would let me drive. They all said that I had no strength for that. So I had no choice but to ride shot gun. "Dad? Now that MIA is being disassembled, does that mean you are here to stay?" I had been dreading this conversation, fearing his response. However, I knew that I had to have it.

He looked at me and smiled sadly. "I'm the lead of the operation of taking them down."

I should have known. That meant he had to leave. "You're not staying."

He shook his head as if I was slightly wrong. "I'm going to be traveling a lot. But I'll still come back often. And I was wondering, could I stay with you when I'm in town?"

I smiled at him. That was a silly question to ask, since it was his home. It was his money that was used to buy it years ago. "It's your house too."

He stated sadly as if he was ashamed. "Not anymore isn't."

He was right but in some respects he was dead wrong. Yes the house was in my name but he was the one that made it a home to begin with. "You're always welcome to stay."