Chapter 32: Always Here To Catch

Look out for the <>!

"Annalise, I have the list that you wanted on my desk but the power shut off again," my grandmother said on the other side of the phone call.

I frowned, knowing where this was going. MIA was attacking again. They knew we were on to them and they were trying to buy themselves more time.

"When the power restarted about 100 names were removed from our database. Among those names were you, Auggie, Mara, and myself. We all have do not have working accounts with the CIA at the moment. Until that is worked out, I can't get in my office. I'm sorry but you might have to wait a couple days."

I frowned as I looked at Auggie who was beside me. He silently held my hand as if to tell me that he was here to support me with whatever I needed. I squeezed it lightly then ran my hands through my hair in frustration. This was never going to be easy. I should have known, but I didn't expect this.

I looked at the newly weeded garden in front of me. It looked brand new, all clean. The CIA would look like this too if we just weren't afraid to get our hands dirty. Everyone thought I was reckless, maybe it was time to live up to my rumors. I didn't need a key card to get in, I knew the CIA just as well as I knew my house. I could get in and I had to get in now. We didn't have a few days to waste. I needed to get out all the weeds before it was too late. Before long the CIA's flower garden would be overrun with MIA weeds, suffocating the flowers. "We need that list today before it's too late."

She sighed as I heard her car start up. She was in the parking lot, probably going home. "Ok. That was what I thought you would say. You have more of you father in you then you realize."

I smiled. She had always compared me to my mother. This was the first time that she thought I took after my father. The complement made me feel giddy.

"I'm not telling you go in through my open office window and get into my desk with the code 1970. Like I said, I would like to help, but I can't."

I nodded as I walked into my house with Auggie on my heals. "Thank you," I said calmly as I hung up the phone. I looked at Auggie and just felt immense gratitude towards him. He had never questioned me and had helped me from the beginning, just like Mara. My grandmother might be a piece of work, but Auggie and Mara were more like family then my grandmother ever would be.

"So are we going to Langley?" Auggie asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

I nodded. We had to get that list. We were so close to stopping them and MIA knew it. They were doing all that they could to slow us down or stop us.

"Great, let's go."

Without changing we got into my car and drove to work. I explained to Auggie what we had to do and why we were breaking in as I drove. He asked few questions, taking all my information as facts. I looked over at him a few times and he looked prepared, as if he had been ready for the all his life. I wondered deep down this was what he was made to do, because I didn't feel that way. I felt like life threw a bunch of things that most wouldn't have to even think about. It expected me to deal with it, but I was being buried alive with it all.

<>

Finally, I pulled up to the gate of the parking lot as worry took over me. I wasn't supposed to be here. My key card wouldn't work and I hadn't thought this far ahead. I frowned as I tried to come up with some idea but knew there was nothing. They wouldn't let us in even to the parking lot.

"Here, I got this," Auggie said as he handed me a card. I looked at Carter's ID badge and smiled lightly.

"How did you get this?"