Chapter 34: The Last

You know the deal!

I got into the back of the van with cuffs on my wrists. I felt like a criminal, after all that I did for the agency, I felt unwanted, undeserved, disgusting. I sold my life to the CIA and after everything, this was what I had. I knew that this was MIA, but they couldn't prevent this. CIA sealed my fate just like MIA did. After a few minutes of silence I spoke up to the men sitting with me. "Aren't you taking me to Langley?"

The guard looked up from his phone and sighed, as if I just ruined his moment. "No."

I nodded. Of course. MIA wanted me off the game board. With each passing moment, it set me more into a panic. They got me right where they wanted and there was no hope for me to get out.

After what felt like a life time, the van stopped and the back van doors opened but I didn't want to move. I felt like I was going to vomit.

"We're here," one guard said with a gruff voice. He took my cuffed hands and pulled me out of the van without waiting a second.

I stumbled out of the van and looked at the gray sky to match the gray MIA building. This was the last time I was going to see the sky for a while or even forever. I had a feeling that my grandmother wouldn't be able to get me out of here before they killed me. This was my goodbye.

"Move it," another guard said and pushed me forward.

I shot him a look but moved forward until I was walked into the MIA base. I looked around the hall with it's empty halls that were just as gray as the outside. Everything looked the same as it did last night, but now there was fear, it weighed down on me like a ton of bricks. I wondered if they figured out by now it was us that broke in last night.

<>

Breaking me from my thoughts was a door that creaked open. Stepping out of the room was Fabien. He smiled at me widely, as if this was such a pleasant surprise to see me. "Annalise, my dear. Welcome to MIA," he said happily.

I was right where he wanted me to be. This had to be his plan for a while now, because he was ecstatic.

"I can take it from here men. And here, someone get those cuffs off her," Fabien said as he snapped his fingers, looking at the men that got me from my house.

One come up in front of me and uncuffed me without a word. I raised an eye brow in confusion. I was forced here against my will but they're uncuffing me? What was Fabien's play? I looked back behind me to see the three guards walk off. Fear started to kick in even more as I realized that I was alone, with him.

Fabien put his hand on my shoulder with a smile. "Annalise, why do you have that face on? Come on, smile. For me? This is an exciting moment. We are finally going to talk face to face. You don't know how long I have been waiting for this."

I just stared at him. I didn't want to be compliant. But I also didn't want to get on his bad side so I forced a small smirk. I was here in his building. He made the calls and if I wanted to live I would have to do everything he said even if it was going to dam me to hell.

"There we go," he asked as he started to lead me down a hall.

I didn't say anything as I followed him. The deeper we got into the building the more terrified I got. Fabien was a wild card and I was in his building. What was he going to do to me?

"Oh it's not going to be that bad. Come on," he said and flashed a smile reassuringly and gently pushed me on the small of my back until we were at the elevator. We got off on the 7th floor and he said, "left please."

I knew where we were going. This was the same floor that Toby put me in when he caught me. We passed the broken glass door and Fabien frowned. "I didn't think you would have enough strength to break through this."