Chapter 5: Wouldn't Mind

Look out for the <>!

"We should go to club," Toby said as soon as we walked out of the CIA building.

I frowned at him. He was normally the responsible one. "We're here on work," I said trying not to make any more rumors about myself. I need to act in a way that Grandma would be proud of.

He smiled at me, like this was the best idea he had come up with. "Come on, it'll be fun. Think about it, when will we be here in NYC? Together?" he grabbed a hold of my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.

He did have a point, he always had a way of convincing me. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't tell him no. His eyes always convinced me to cave to his way. But Toby wasn't the only person that had that ability, I was a people pleaser at heart and I said yes more times to more people then I should have. "Alright, sure," I said and sighed.

"Cool! I need to shower, change then we can go. I already texted Fabien, he told me he would be here soon," he said with excitement then kissed me happily.

I nodded with a smile, enjoying this sudden change in attitude with him. Ever since we landed in New York, I felt like once again, I was the only thing that mattered to him. It made me wonder what brought this change in emotion over him. But instead of asking about it, I stayed silent, worried that I might jinx it.

We didn't wait longer then a minute for Fabien to come pick us up.

"Not a minute late," Toby said to Fabien as we got into the car.

"Yes; I pride myself on being on time every time. I'm never late to the CIA building, even in rush hour.  I know the ins and outs of this town like the back of my hand. Only been late once because some big time movie was being filmed and I couldn't get around it," he said with a pout as he drove quickly through the streets of New York City.

Within a short drive we found ourselves in front of a large well known hotel. In silence he parked the car underneath a covered awning and turned around to face us. He quickly handed us key cards and explained, "Annalise is room 205 and Toby, yours is 319," Fabien said.

"Thanks," I said, took the keycard and got out of the cab, not wanting to waste any time. If we were going out, I needed to get ready quickly. I sped walked to the front door of the hotel but as I wrapped my hand around the brass handle, I realized that Toby was not by my side. I looked around quickly, wondering where he went off to but stopped when I saw that he was still talking to Fabien. "Toby? Are you coming?"

He looked at me with a tired face then smiled. "I'll be there I just need a few words with Fabien," Toby said, shooing me off.

I nodded at him, although a part of me wanted to wait for him where I stood. I didn't understand why he wanted to talk to Fabien. Usually we didn't talk to drivers. We stuck to our job and left.

Once again fearing that I would jinx what we had currently going for, I shook my head to clear the worry. Then with that, I walked into the lavish hotel lobby and went straight to the elevator.

As I waited for the large mirrored doors to open, I couldn't hold back the curiosity that I had about Toby. Normally I avoided all work talk at all costs, but this was different. I wanted to know exactly what Toby was doing.

Breaking my from my thoughts was Toby as he ran up to me as the elevator doors opened. "Hold it please!" Toby said as I walked into the elevator.

Obediently, I held my hand in front of the door as Toby came running in. As the doors closed behind him, I turned to face him with a frown. I was waiting for him to say something to me but as he looked at his phone, I realized that he wasn't going to bring it up. So I was. "Why were you talking to Fabien?"