Chapter 10: He Never Was

Song is for the start of the chapter!

As I looked around at the people surrounding us, I couldn't help myself to sink into despair. There was no easy way out of this. They got us right where they wanted us and we wouldn't be able to get out. This was a set up. Auggie and I couldn't fight them off with only two guns and no back up. We weren't delusional. I felt my heart race in my chest as I realized that we were going to die.

With nervous eyes, I looked for an exit. My mind was running with ideas on how to get out alive. I shook my head as I realized that every idea I had turned into a gun fight. I been trapped before but this was the first time that there was a small army against me.

In silence I looked over at Auggie who was trying to assess the problem as well. I let out a shaky breath as I looked around the room as I tried to find Toby. I couldn't find him away were and wondered if he made a run for it without getting caught. I grabbed a hold of a glimmer of hope for just a second as I realized that if we were lucky, he was out calling for backup.

"Do you think we have a chance?" I whispered to Auggie as I tried to come up with some plan.

As I looked in more detail at the men in front of us, I noticed that they looked more professional. They were all clean cut and polished. They were different then the gang members we saw yesterday. I frowned as I felt myself sink deeper into fear. These people could be MIA and they were here for me and it terrified me.

"No," Auggie frowned as he started to lower his gun. He knew when a battle was not worth it.

I refused to let my gun fall. Instead, I white knuckled it, unable to let it fall. I should have followed Auggie's lead, but I couldn't bring myself to that. Our guns might as well been pea shooters compared to theirs.

No wanting to give up yet, I pulled out my phone and pushed the distressed button it then shoved it back into my back pocket. I never had to push this button. I was told this was only for life and death situations. This time was the best time to use this since we were looking at death.

"Annalise, I have to tell you something," Auggie said as his eyes showed fear.

I frowned at him. He was going to share some kind of deep secret with me. He didn't think he would live through this. This was the last word situation. I shook my head, not wanting to hear it from him. "No. Tell me after," I said to him as if I knew we would make it through this.

"Put down your guns," a tall man with black hair said coming from the crowed. "And don't even try the distressed button. We have the air waves blocked."

I tried to swallow my fear but it went down as cotton balls, only to get stuck in my throat. In our line of work, the idea of death of torture was a very real topic. But I never thought it would happen to us so young. After I joined the CIA, I never imagined how much more I would have to grow up to fit in.

When my parents died, I lost a large chunk of my childhood, but when I joined the CIA, the rest of my youth was gone. But it was times like this when I remembered that I was still a teen. I was still young, I still had things to do. If I had a normal life, this wouldn't happen to me.

Slowly, I put my guns on the ground.  I tried to compose myself but I felt myself shake. I was terrified and I knew that they could see it in my eyes.

The shadowy man smiled at us. "Good, now kick them to me," he said. He took long confident strides towards us, coming out of shadows. As he walked under the fog lights, I saw that it was Fabien.

I felt angry tears well up in my eyes. I should have seen this. I should have realized that he wasn't who he appeared. Fabien was not working for the CIA and because of my failure to see this, we were both going to die. "Why are you doing this? We're on the same team!" I yelled at him, I could feel my voice shake.