Chapter 14: Happier

Look out for the <>!

My grandmother smiled slightly as if she had some great news to share. She cupped my cheek in her hand and said, "Annalise, he's alive. That was why I was trying to get a hold of you."

I felt like someone punched me in the gut. I couldn't breathe. How was that possible? "I saw him die," I spit out, trying to figure out if this was a dream.

She smiled again then stepped out of the car and I followed her lead. I suddenly wanted to be here. Even if this was a dream, it was welcomed. I wanted to see him even if it was for just one last time.

I quickly ran my hands through my hair as if that would help me look more presentable. I pulled on my shirt and tucked it into my jeans. I wish she would have told me this information before we left. Then I would have looked better.

By time we walked into the hospital, every part of my body was rejoicing. I felt like my heart was going to race out of my chest from excitement. With those small words that my grandmother shared, I slowly started to feel alive again.

"The doctors saved him. But we have been keeping his status as top level clearance because we still are not sure what happened in Florida. But I had to let you know. I hate to see you like this. I know how close you and him are," she explained as she walked down a bright and busy hospital hall away.

I nodded to her, even though I wasn't paying much attention to her words. All I could think of was what to say to Auggie when I saw him. I was joyous that he was alive, but hurt that my plan landed him here. I should be in his place. I was digging into MIA. I was trusting the wrong people. Auggie didn't do anything wrong but I on the other hand, did everything wrong.

<>

"Two surgeries later and here he is," she said and stopped in front of a closed door. A guard stood by to protect whatever was in the next room. My grandmother flashed her badge at him then with a nod, the guard opened the door for her. She walked in as if she had done this so many times before.

But I froze in front of the doorway. I turned on my heals, refusing to look into the room. Once again, I couldn't find my breath. Fear once again shook me as I realized that maybe he wouldn't want to see me. I frowned. What if he never wanted to be my friend again? I was clearly dangerous. I would stay away from me too.

"Annalise, He's still asleep," she said and pulled me into the room as if not willing to hear any excuse that I was about to make up. "Has been since he arrived. The doctors put him in a coma to help the healing process. They just took it off of him early this morning." She gave me a little push again. She was always good at pushing me to do things I didn't want to.

I nodded at her and took a deep breath. There was no way of going around this. If he didn't want to see me again, at least I would know. But it wouldn't mean it wouldn't hurt. I had hurt so much in my life, I wasn't sure if I could stomach more. I turned to face his room again and walked in.

I looked up and inside of the sun lit room was Auggie, lying down with a few medical devices around him. The heart monitor was the only thing that beeped a study rhythm. His face was bruised slightly and I wondered if he got that in the base.

I forced myself to take slow steps until I saw sitting in a chair beside him. Unsure what to do next, I hesitantly brushed some of his brown hair out of his face. He looked so peaceful. If there wasn't any of these tubes and machines around us, I would think that I was just watching him sleep on my couch like he had done time and time again.

I was overcome with emotion as I stared at him. I did this. This was my fault. "Auggie" I whispered. "I'm sorry." I grabbed a hold of his limp warm hand and rubbed it with my thumb.