Chapter 37: All He Wanted

Look out for the ,<>!

I looked at my phone with a frown. I only had 2% left on it and Auggie took my charger with him when he left for lunch. I had no idea when he would return. "Please last, please play this one last song," I begged my phone onward as I hit play on youtube.

A nurse walked into the room and smiled at me. "How are you doing?" she asked as she looked at my charts.

I shrugged lightly. I had been up since yesterday but I still was in pain even with the pain killers they gave me. Every breath I took was slightly labored and I was so tired. I felt terrible even though they said I was improving. "I'm ok."

She nodded, she knew I wasn't telling the full truth. "You need to rest more."

I frowned. Everyone was saying that to me but the more I rested, the more tired I got. Resting wasn't helping. "I'll make sure to rest later today," I said to her as I looked at the time on my phone. It was 11:50. I had only been up for an hour.

She smiled at me, happy with my response. "Good. Call if you need anything."

I nodded at her even though it made my head spin. I watched as she walked out of the room, seconds later Auggie came through that same door with a smile on his face. He just had lunch. Food always put him in a good mood.

"Hi," he said and gave me my charger. Thank goodness.

"Can you charge it for me?" I asked as I handed him my phone and charger.

He nodded and took the two items from me then plugged them into the closest outlet. He looked at my phone then set it down, moving back to his spot of always, the chair beside me. "How are you? You look at little pecked," he said with concern and cupped my cheek.

I smirked lightly, I was in a building full of train professionals and he still was worried about me. "I'm ok. How was lunch?" I asked, changing the topic.

He smiled at me. "It was lovely."

I chuckled at him. "That's good to hear." There was a minute of silence that filled the room as I held back a wince for the laugh I just took.

"Maybe you should nap," Auggie suggested.

I had only been up for an hour, I was not going back to sleep. I wanted to visit with him. Plus, since we were alone, there were still a few questions I was dying to know. "Auggie, you haven't told me what happened these past couple day and you haven't told me about work either. What are you hiding?"

He clenched his jaw shut. He didn't want to talk about it. But I wanted to know. "Please, Auggie," I begged him as I put my hand on his.

He smiled sadly at me. He grabbed my hand and kissed it. "I thought I would never hear you call my name again. You wouldn't believe how good it feels to see color in your face again."

I intertwined my fingers with his and smiled as if that would give him encouragement to go forward with the story.

<>

"I...I- found you in that hall. An EMT team followed me. They said you were already dead. But then you looked at me with those blue eyes. You were still with me. We drove you to the hospital as fast as we could. You're stats were dropping but we finally got you here," he smiled lightly then paused as if trying to find the right words to say.

"We quickly realized that you were poisoned. The poison was something new, something no one had seen before and it was powerful. Almost every CIA doctor was trying to find an antidote but they were running out of time. We were losing you as your body shutting down. That night when you woke up and asked me if you were dying. You were right. The doctors said that was probably your last night. We were out of time and ideas. I was praying so hard that I would see your eyes and hear your voice just one more time. and you opened your eyes. You talked to me. I was so happy, but I knew that was God's way of letting me say goodbye." His voice shook towards the end as he looked up at the ceiling trying to recovered himself.