Chapter 16: A Cover

Look out for this <>

I woke up the next day to my alarm beeping at me in the most annoying fashion. With a new spring in my step I pushed myself out of bed and got dressed. For the first time in days I felt like I was well rested. With a game plan for todays events in my head, I walked down the stairs to start the day.

I eyed my computer. It was exactly where I had left it yesterday. I gave up on B26 but somehow I didn't believe that it would be that easy. MIA already knew me, they were after me. As dangerous as this was and how much it scared me, I felt like I was already trapped in the web. "I can't avoid him forever," I said to myself with a sigh as a knock came from my door.

Knowing it was Carter, I walked to the front door and opened it with a smile. "Are you ready for the best dressed day for your life?" I asked him.

He did not look happy. In fact he looked like he was in pain. "Can't wait," he said sarcastically as he walked into my house. He then looked at me from head to toe with a small smile. "You look good."

I nodded. Ever since I saw Auggie I felt like my emotions were getting under control. Seeing him was a restart, yes I was still grieving with the betrayal of Toby, but I was learning how to deal with it. "Yeah, I feel better."

Carter nodded then clapped his hands, bringing attention back to him. "So where is the great shirt?"

"It's up stairs, let me get it," I said running up stairs to my room. I knew that most of my clothing was too small for him. But thank goodness I had a light pink boy friend button down. I walked back down the stairs and tossed it to him.

He caught it with ease and looked at with a faint smile. "What is this? A towel?" he asked jokingly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Shut up, just try it on," I said pushing him into the bathroom that was in the hall way.

Within a minute, he came out. "Do I have to wear this the whole day?"

I looked at him and smiled. "Oh yeah," I said as I held back a laugh. He had to broad of shoulders so instead of being a loose, it seemed to fit him like a fitted button down. Then it clicked, that was why they called it boyfriend fit.

"Great. Maybe I'll just take a half day," he mumbled.

I smiled as I put my hand on his shoulder to cheer him up, before I crushed it again. "Ok ready hot stuff?"

He frowned, knowing that he would be the talk of the department. "Yeah."

"Oh cheer up. I'm sure no one will notice," I lied. Really, I think everyone would notice that this was a girls shirt. With Keys in hand, I pushed both of us out the door and locked it behind me.

We took separate own cars to work and before I knew it I was walking into the building. I looked around the main lobby. Everything was the same, but yet, everything was different. I was different, this job was different. I felt like it was trying to cover a secret that I already knew. I felt eyes on me as I walked with a lack of confidence through the lobby. Every sound made me jump. MIA was here and it was only time until they came for me again.

"Annalise!" Carter waved to me as he walked up to me, waiting to get onto the elevator.

The elevator doors opened but before we got in someone chuckled as they looked at Carter. "Whose closet did you pick out of today? Madonna's?" he asked Carter.

I held back a smile, that was witty. This was going to be a long day for him.

Carter frowned at the man and snapped back, "you know what? I don't even want to hear it Joel," he said as the elevator doors closed, leaving him behind of the floor.